Fart Fans : Obvious Solution Or Am I Missing Something? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 402

Fart Fans : obvious solution or am I missing something?

So ok, when a person sits on a toilet, some of the stuff coming out is stinky gas. Smells a lot worse to other people than to the person pooping.

So...I have an idea. Install one of those small air intake vents in the wall to the right or left of the toilet. Run a duct through the wall up to the attic (in a 1 story house, in a 2 story house you are going to have a tough time). Install at the top of the duct a 4-6 inch inline duct fan. On the exit to that blower, connect another section of duct that tie into a roof vent.

Connect the blower to the light switch for the toilet area.

Turn on the light for the toilet, the fan comes on. It's all the way up in the attic, so it should be quiet. Sit down on the pot. Let off a big fart. Constant exhaust airflow sucks the fart from down low into the vent and out. Nobody has to smell it. If the toilet overflows, there is not a risk of the water getting onto the exhaust fan and causing causing a short, so you don't need GFCI on the circuit or to worry about breaking the fan.
Habeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18

That's one way, or you can buy a vented toilet seat. Google something like "miracleseat".
AlanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,602

How high does your water get when the toilet overflows? All of the exhaust fans I've seen are in the ceiling except the old style ones on the wall, but they are still like 3 feet off the floor.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
How high does your water get when the toilet overflows? All of the exhaust fans I've seen are in the ceiling except the old style ones on the wall, but they are still like 3 feet off the floor.
I was actually thinking I might accidentally piss on the 120 V fan if it were in the wall.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habeed View Post
I was actually thinking I might accidentally piss on the 120 V fan if it were in the wall.
Do we have a history of bad aim?
When my Grandson was just learning to pee, I drew a bulls eye on a piece of toilet paper and let him aim at that.
You might start there.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Do we have a history of bad aim?
When my Grandson was just learning to pee, I drew a bulls eye on a piece of toilet paper and let him aim at that.
You might start there.
Yeah, well, it's still a bad idea. Sometimes it's dark in the bathroom. Someday someone else with bad aim might use it. Yeah, the risk of getting shocked with 120V through a piss stream is low - but if you wet the fan coils with piss, then accidentally touched the piss covered vent, there's a small chance of a connection. Just a bad idea. Also, it's bad for the fan to get it pissed on. And it's going to be really noisy, have a loud fan right next to your ass.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,428

An exhaust fan drawing from behind the toilet is an excellent idea, I don't understand why no one has invented it yet.

A ground fault circuit interrupter, proper equipment grounding conductors, and even the decorative grill louver will prevent electrocution and protect the mechanical components if someone should accidentally shoot urine at the fan.

It is tricky if you also want to ventilate above the shower, having enough fan power for both locations and not having the stinky air come back in the louver above the shower. The best way is to have a second fan and duct above the shower.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-10-2015 at 06:54 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #8
PE Mechanical Engineer

Rewards Points: 892

Call NASA:

Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement