Drain Snake Not Unclogging Double Sink - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Exclamation

Drain Snake Not Unclogging Double Sink

I've tried everything to unclog my double sink. From pouring Drano to pumping the drain with a plunger, I simply could not get my sink unclogged. So finally, I decided to buy myself a 25-foot drain snake.

The snake is great, but for whatever reason, I cannot grab what seems to be blocking the flow. I can physically feel something pretty far down the drain (probably grease), but the snake just won't grab onto it aside from a few small pieces here and there.

Is it normal that I can feel the blockage being pushed downwards when applying more length? I'm assuming it will eventually reach the sewer line, but my snake is only 25 feet long, so I don't want it to go too far down. Would it be wise to try to coil the blockage and pull it up or keep attempting to push through it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I would much rather fix this myself than have to call in a plumber.
daviddifranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2016, 06:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,808

Re: Drain Snake Not Unclogging Double Sink

First thing I do if the drains plugged is remove the traps, if that not it then I run the snake down the drain with everything removed to right where it goes into the wall and making sure the snake goes down not up into the vent.
If that's not it I work under the house through the clean out.
Never a good idea to use a drain cleaner, if used then you have a toxic, caustic liquid to deal with when working on the pipes.
If you think it's grease then boiling hot water down the drain would have been a far better idea.
If someones been dumping grease down the drain or using a garbage disposal instead of using a composter, and dumping the grease into a can then get them involved in resolving this issue.
Advertisement

Tags
double sink clogged , drain snake , grease clog