Drain Question - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2017, 10:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 270

Drain Question

I'm demo'ing a bathroom and on the other side of the wall is another bathroom. The bathroom I'm working on has a shower drain that is tied into the sink drain in the other bathroom. Today I cut the old trap out and it had all gunk in it (the shower hadn't been used in 15 years). So I had a copper drain line that was open and someone turned on the sink in the other bathroom and water slowly poured out the shower drain line.

The water was dark so I put a pitcher under the drain line and had the person turn on the sink while black water and more gunk came out until it was clean. I currently have a temporary cap on there so I can use the other sink without more leaks, but when I put the new trap on, will it fill up with water and come up through the shower floor? Is this a normal setup - the shower drain being linked to a sink drain? I appreciate any help.
joeg679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2017, 05:59 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,570

Re: Drain Question

What size is the shower drain? It must be 2" while your sink drain is probably only 1 1/2". Is there a trap at the shower location? Is there 1/4" per foot of drain slope toward the main drain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
What size is the shower drain? It must be 2" while your sink drain is probably only 1 1/2". Is there a trap at the shower location? Is there 1/4" per foot of drain slope toward the main drain?
The shower drain is 2 inch copper. I removed the old trap and will. E putting in a new one. Then I'm using the schluter pan. I just found it odd that he sink in another bathroom would drain into the shower drain somehow. If it's normal, then that's fine. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,570

The sink should not be draining "toward" the shower. They both should be sweeping toward the main drain. Where is it in relation to both? Can you sketch the drain set up or post pictures?
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
joeg679 (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 11:21 PM   #5

Quote:
The sink should not be draining "toward" the shower. They both should be sweeping toward the main drain. Where is it in relation to both? Can you sketch the drain set up or post pictures?
Attached is a sketch of a top-view. The sink drains fine, so maybe it's draining towards a down pipe and so is the shower and when I put the trap in the shower they'll both drain towards that down pipe?
Attached Thumbnails
Drain Question-img_7140.jpg  
Old 09-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #6
Plumber

Rewards Points: 254

Your plumbing is probably piped correctly- assuming it was permitted and inspected. I think you're dealing with a partially clogged pipe.
Get your hands on a 3/8" drain cable and clean the 2" line. Your entrance point will be the shower line. As you work the cable downstream, trickle some water from the lav- flush and scrub that line real good, but don't beat a hole in the copper..... it might be thin after all this time. Eventually that 2" line should tie into a 3" or 4" line. You should be good downstream of that.
joeg679 (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Your plumbing is probably piped correctly- assuming it was permitted and inspected. I think you're dealing with a partially clogged pipe.
Get your hands on a 3/8" drain cable and clean the 2" line. Your entrance point will be the shower line. As you work the cable downstream, trickle some water from the lav- flush and scrub that line real good, but don't beat a hole in the copper..... it might be thin after all this time. Eventually that 2" line should tie into a 3" or 4" line. You should be good downstream of that.

Thanks, will do. I actually did get a lot of stuff out of the line when I was running the water in the other sink and collecting in a bucket, but I'll try to get some more out. Appreciate the help.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:19 AM   #8

Quote:
I have a service through my utility provider that covers clogs, so I called them and they sent out a local plumber that has a contract with them. I showed them the issue and they said that the pitch of the pipe is off and it can happen over time. He said that he couldn't do the work because work is already being performed by me so it's not covered and that I'd have to get another plumber.

I asked him if I could just raise the pipe up to make the pitch right and he said that I might be able to cut the a piece out of the vent, raise it up 1/2 inch and then put in a mission coupling, then use a hanger to keep the drain pipe in place. His other alternative was to rip everything out and re-pipe everything. Doesn't seem like he knew what he was talking about, but raising the pitch does seem doable.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:19 PM   #9
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,424

How old is the copper.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
joeg679 (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #10

The house was built in the late 60's. I wound up cutting the vent and shortening it by an inch, then making that up with pvc and fernco fittings. This allowed me to raise the drain pitch by about 1/2 inch and now it seems to be working well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement