Drain Mistery - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wptski

Old 06-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Drain mistery

Clogged kitchen sink on the 2nd Floor of a house(top floor). I put in a 25' 5/8" Ridgid cable in with a K-45AF machine; no dice. I figured the obstruction was near the basement and I couldn't reach it so I went in from the basement side and put about 16' in before it wouldn't go in any further, same thing. The direct distance between the sink and the basement is about 16'-18' so unless there is a black hole in the pipe I should have cleared the obstruction.The drain leads directly to the basement as far as I can tell; every other plumbing fixture in the house works fine. When I tried using the plunger the water temporary recedes but then I comes back up. WTF? I am guessing that there is a leftover T in the wall somewhere connected to a pipe? Does that make sense? How should I proceed?

Thanks
krassyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 770

Re: Drain mistery

My nephew had the same kind of problem. I used my Rigid Drain machine on it with little change if any. I wanted to pull it apart at the end where it hit the main line but his wife was getting annoyed with the lack of progress.

He hired a plumber using the same machine with the same results. He pulled it where I wanted to. A short piece of PVC was packed with grease so the snake pushed through it but the hole just closed right back up!
123pugsy likes this.
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2016, 05:32 PM   #3

Thank you; that makes sense. Rigid has a cable that accepts custom attachments like a blade cutter and spade cutter; do you think it will help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2016, 06:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by krassyg View Post
Thank you; that makes sense. Rigid has a cable that accepts custom attachments like a blade cutter and spade cutter; do you think it will help?
The Rigid K40 that I tried has a fixed bulb cutter, not much good. Need something that has a tendency to push ahead what it cuts and as large in diameter as possible.

They have something they call a Grease Cutter but maybe not for your machine but does list for my K-40 with another cable: http://www.jimslimstools.com/Departm...se-Cutter.aspx

I might have that cutter for my old K-375 with 3/8" cable that'll fit the suggested accessory cable for my K-40! Interesting!

Last edited by wptski; 06-19-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

At that point once you bust a hole through a pipe you have caused additional repairs. That is when you call a plumber. No need to make more problems for yourself and increase the bill the plumber will charge you. Sometimes the do it yourself angle ends up being the empty your wallet angle. I know, because I have done the same thing! My dad owns a plumbing company and he goes behind these do it yourself jobs all the time that could have been avoided. I now own a moving company and don't have anything to do with the plumbing business. Good luck with that, it may not be as severe as you think, but in my opinion after seeing this a good bit, call a plumber.

Last edited by beenthere; 11-15-2016 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Removed linnk to his company
MoversRoswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoversRoswell View Post
At that point once you bust a hole through a pipe you have caused additional repairs. That is when you call a plumber. No need to make more problems for yourself and increase the bill the plumber will charge you. Sometimes the do it yourself angle ends up being the empty your wallet angle. I know, because I have done the same thing! My dad owns a plumbing company and he goes behind these do it yourself jobs all the time that could have been avoided. I now own a moving company and don't have anything to do with the plumbing business. Good luck with that, it may not be as severe as you think, but in my opinion after seeing this a good bit, call a plumber.
Bust a hole through a pipe?? Highly unlikely to happen! It's possible if going through a chrome plated brass trap, one of the newer ones that are super thin and I've down that twice myself. I learned to be careful working a snake through one of them now.

The original chrome plated brass trap on my bathroom from 1956 was so heavy, I couldn't believe it. I would have used it again but the connection is different than what's used now.

PS: I ended up ordering a 3/8" 35' hollow core cable with drum and cutter kit plus a 4 blade cutter for my Rigid K-40.

Last edited by beenthere; 11-15-2016 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Removed link in quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #7

I just ordered the same for my K-45AF; 35" Ridgid 98072 with the bits
http://ridgidtoolsonline.com/product....php?pid=98072
Old 06-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #8

Quote:
My K-40 uses the same drum, etc. but I passed on the inner core version because it's less flexible making turns.

I got this kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #9

The drain makes a U-turn around the window below; should have I ordered the non-inner core cable? Old brass soldered 1-3/4" pipes.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:39 AM   #10

Quote:
The drain makes a U-turn around the window below; should have I ordered the non-inner core cable? Old brass soldered 1-3/4" pipes.
Can't say 100% for sure but the inner core cables are stiffer, you'll have to decide on your own.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Did you get the new cable yet, got mine from the same source too.
The Following User Says Thank You to wptski For This Useful Post:
krassyg (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 07:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
Did you get the new cable yet, got mine from the same source too.
I got the 3/8" inner core with the accessories kit. The spade grease cutter did the trick; many thanks!
Old 06-29-2016, 01:39 PM   #13

Quote:
I got the 3/8" inner core with the accessories kit. The spade grease cutter did the trick; many thanks!
That's great! That's the single flat spade that came with the kit? I pulled the cable from the drum and marked the cable with glow paint at that 84" mark the speed bumps are at like I did on another cable I have for it.

I got the AF accessory as well. It's much improved over my PF being much less lever force needed to feed the cable.

One thing is that I can't imagine that 3/8' cable drum with motor on the K45, that's a lot of weight!!
Old 06-29-2016, 02:42 PM   #14

Yes, that is the one. The 3/8" is listed as an accessory for the K-45; it was running fine and a had a turn around a windows bellow.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Yes, that is the one. The 3/8" is listed as an accessory for the K-45; it was running fine and a had a turn around a windows bellow.
Yes, I know but I've read that they can be tiring if used for an extended period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement