Drain For Marble Sink - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #1
Doozer

Rewards Points: 237

Drain for marble sink

My wife got a great deal (really) on a marble sink for the half bath off of our kitchen. It is basically scooped out of a 3" think slab of marble. It is mounted and the faucet is installed and everything would be fine except that I cannot pick a drain.

The faucet we used does not have the plug plugger (what do you call that button that you pull up to plug the sink?) Nor a hole for one and I'm not drilling one.

The hole drilled through the bottom of the sink is 1-3/4" diameter and the widest part of the angled part that goes down to that hole is 2-3/4".

I can get "mushroom" or "pop-up" drains for this size of hole. I think you push them down to plug the sink and push again to unplug it. Is that right?

The sink is shallow and without an overflow. So I'm not really sure I even want a plug. I'm afraid the shallow sink will overflow too easily and we cannot figure any reason we'll ever want to plug it.

Looking around I find "grid" drains. These do not plug, they just have a perforated top kind of like a shower drain (only nicer looking.) The problem is that these are all made to fit standard sinks with 1-1/2" holes and 2-1/4" diameters at the top of the drain slope. I could put one of these in the sink but it will be a loose fit in the hole and will sit really low in the angled drain slope. I'm also not sure if the gaskets that come with these are made to sit in such a tapered hole.

Can anyone give me any advice on this dilemma? Especially someone who has installed a non-plugging drain in a sink with this larger than normal hole size?

And can anyone tell me why in the world anyone would ever buy a plugable drain for a sink that does not have an overflow? It seems that this larger diameter hole is typical in stone and basin type sinks and these sinks don't usually have overflows. And they are usually installed in fancier and probably more expensive bathrooms where water overflowing from the sink would be an expensive problem. It just seems nuts to offer only pluggable drains for these sinks. Is there something I'm not getting?

Thanks

Last edited by FatBear; 02-09-2016 at 10:57 PM.
FatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016, 06:28 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Have you got a local plumbing supply house?

I'd be asking there---that might be a European drain---so you might want to translate the size into metric--and search for it using those measurements
FatBear (02-10-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016, 06:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,220

dont install a stoppable drain unless you like floods..there is no reason for it in a half bath..and use clear silicone to install the drain, plumbers putty will leech the yellow oil into the marble..
WhatRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhatRnsdownhill For This Useful Post:
FatBear (02-10-2016), JERRYMAC (02-10-2016), oh'mike (02-10-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #4
Doozer

Yeah, I really don't want a plug in this sink. I just don't know why in the world the plumbing industry is so dumb about some things. This drain configuration is obviously common in exactly the kind of sinks where you would not want a plug. Yet the only thing that really fits them correctly are drains with plugs. Weird. Maybe they were European at one time, but those sinks are in every Lowe's and Home Depot nowadays.

I'll stay away from the plumber's putty. I have some GE silicone for granite and marble. I've used it on some marble trim and it seems to work well.

My big concern with using a tiny drain in my larger opening is that the upper flanges on the American drains seem to have a flat bottom which beds against a 2-1/4" diameter flattish area in the sink around the 1-1/2" hole. But my sink does not have that flat area, it is a cone shaped taper right down to where the 1-3/4" hole starts. So only the rim of the upper flange will be bearing against the actual sink and the silicone will have to fill that large void underneath it. Will it really seal? Forever? (Well, you know what I mean: until the sink is torn out some day.)
Old 02-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
Doozer

Here's some good news. While searching some more for the European sizes I noticed that one mushroom drain did not say "pop-up" in the description. Reading closely, I find that it does not close. Very good! I did a bunch more searching and found one other mushroom drain in the correct size that does not close. So that's what I'm getting.

Thanks for making me think European.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatBear For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,220

once the silicone cures, even with just the rim sealing, it aint going nowhere...ever...
WhatRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhatRnsdownhill For This Useful Post:
JERRYMAC (02-10-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement