Drain Leaking Roof To PVC In Attic - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Drain Leaking Roof to PVC in attic

We have a few small drips into the attic from the roof.
The easiest and cheapest way to solve this problem would be to simply
place plastic bottles directly under the leak and then run plastic tubing to let the water drain away. We already have all the needed materials (that is enteral feeding bottles and tubes), so it is pretty much good to go. One idea for the water draining is to simply drain it out past the brick wall in the attic to what seems to be a metal catchment that is beside the eavestrove. The only thing we are not sure about is whether there is a drainage hole. We would not want water accumulating if there were no drainage hole (though such a hole could be drilled).

An easier approach would be to simply drill into the black PVC piping that runs in the attic above when one of the washrooms. We could then drain the drips into this pipe. The only problem is it is not clear what this PVC pipe is doing in the attic. It cannot be a water pipe. The pipe runs flat along the floor of the attic just above the washroom beneath. It might be there as a connection to the dryer below. Anyone have any idea what this might be?

This whole approach of simply catching the drip and draining it outside greatly appeals to us as it will save us quite a bit of money and get the job done. Anyone have any comments?
atticer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,220

Welcome to the forum atticer. Why not find out exactly where the leak is coming from and fix it correctly. It's just going to cause more damage/mold by putting a bandaid on it. Just a suggestion.

That black pvc pipe in the attic could be a vent. Post some pictures of it. Thanks.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016, 07:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 270

Yup. Fix the leak. It will only get worse, and before you know it you'll have an expensive mold remediation, major roof repair, or worse.
b-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016, 07:29 PM   #4

Thank you very much for the welcome jmon!

We are just so fed up with this problem, at this point even a bandaid would be a relief. We have let this drift for about 20 years and we finally want it over with!

We have called in roofers several times and things were not resolved. It is quite clear from looking on the inside of the attic roof that the roofers were not even fixing the right place on the roof. We can see the water run quite far up the roof before it drops down to the attic floor. Our bandaid approach will at least completely stop water leakage from the attic which will be such a relief. Whenever it rains outside, there is also rain inside!

Our solution is simple and it looks as though it will totally stop the leak into the house. The mold that we can see on the inside of the attic roof where it leaks is barely visible. Doing this DIY will at least allow us to put it on the backburner.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 114

If you know roughly where the leak is coming from, one thing to try is that clear flexseal, it'll seal up the area with a rubberized coating. I had water coming in down one of my stacks and this has stopped the problem. I would recommend not cutting into the abs vent pipes in the roof, they are directly connected to the sewege system, if cut will leak sewer gases.
Chrisathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:09 PM   #6

Thank you very much everyone for your suggestions.
(Especially grateful for the idea about the sewer gas. I was very unsure what that black PVC was doing up there. I really had thought it was probably the vent for the dryer, though if it is something like a sewer outlet, I will leave well enough alone. Draining to the side of the house is really not much of an extra effort.)

I'll try and get up to the attic soon and take some pics for yall to see.
The Following User Says Thank You to atticer For This Useful Post:
jmon (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 05:22 AM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,046

Quote:
Our solution is simple and it looks as though it will totally stop the leak into the house. The mold that we can see on the inside of the attic roof where it leaks is barely visible. Doing this DIY will at least allow us to put it on the backburner.
Ayuh,... Backburner,..??..?? Til the roof collapses,..??..??

FIX the leak, from Outside,.....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
joecaption (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 06:20 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 127

Sounds like it is way past time for a new roof, this one appears to be shot. I will conjecture that the reason the roofers aren't being to helpful is they don't want to get involved trying to fix something that can't be fixed piecemeal. .kind of like plugging a leaky dike. You fix one leak and three more pop up somewhere else. You need to budget for a new roof every 20 to 25 years. As others have said, ignoring this is will lead to mold, rot, animals and insects . The bucket brigade idea is not really going to work as you think . Water runs everywhere once inside.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:57 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,220

I hope the OP doesnt fix the brakes on his car with the same theory as his roof....
WhatRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:23 PM   #10

Very exciting progress is being made!

I have just placed the "base station". This will be the drip collector that
the tubing from the other drip collectors will drain to. The tubing from the "base station" out past the brick wall is now installed. When everything is set I'll drill into the sheet metal beyond the brick wall and then let the tubing drain the water through the hole. Now I have to wait for rain so that I can find exactly where the drip is and then move the "base station" into position.

I'll make 2 more drip collectors and run the tubing to the "base station" and I'll be nearly done! I'll keep everyone updated with my further progress.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:19 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,220

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticer View Post
Very exciting progress is being made!

I have just placed the "base station". This will be the drip collector that
the tubing from the other drip collectors will drain to. The tubing from the "base station" out past the brick wall is now installed. When everything is set I'll drill into the sheet metal beyond the brick wall and then let the tubing drain the water through the hole. Now I have to wait for rain so that I can find exactly where the drip is and then move the "base station" into position.

I'll make 2 more drip collectors and run the tubing to the "base station" and I'll be nearly done! I'll keep everyone updated with my further progress.
I guess all that work is easier than to just fix the leak in the first place
and you still have a roof that leaks....but its your house...
WhatRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,602

Eventually that decking(plywood) is going to start deteriorating. Then you're going to have leaks that are gradually getting worse and worse until the roof just quits.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 459

What's the worst that could happen?

It's not like excess water in wood causes rot, mold, swelling, fastener corrosion and deterioration or structural failure ... oh wait, YES IT DOES.
Nick DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:57 PM   #14

Thank you everyone for your comments and encouragement!
I am now pressing ahead with the project.
Very exciting!

I have now extended tubing from the "base station" to a "feeder station".
From this "feeder station", I'll hook up two more drip collectors and I am all done. I hooked one of these drip collectors up and now there is just one left.

The last one could be a little tricky because I am not completely sure it is a simple drip. I will be all done if it is simply a drip. I am worried that this one might be more of running along wood surfaces without ever actually dripping -- we shall see.

This is going great so far!
I am going to feel so much relief when I can at least stop the drip down form the attic. From there I could access what further actions would be needed.

Last edited by atticer; 03-03-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:18 PM   #15

Everything is going to plan!

I have now set up 3 drip collectors, with one feeder station and 20 feet of tubing for a drain out. A large part of the attic is now hooked into the network so if another leak were to occur it would be easy to hook it up into the system. This is great! A little bit more fine tuning and I'll be all ready for the first big rainfall. I will also make sure that everything is water tight, and that the tubing is all running in a downward direction. The only tricky part left is making sure the third drip connector has a drip to catch and that it is above the waterline of the rest of the tubing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement