Drain Enzymes - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26

Drain enzymes

Hello,

I need my main drain cleaned every few years. My shower and sink will slow down once a year. My laundry drain slows down every few months. I usually clean up the bathroom and laundry but I use a company to do the main. Last time I called I was sold a blue drain buildup removing enzyme. I don't have a disposal and the only thing that goes down the drain is soap, toilet paper, water and waste. I have been reading up on the subject but ending up with more questions than answers. The drain enzyme is a little pricey and I found out the techs have to meet a weekly sales quota. Also all they know about it is that it works but don't have any data.

1) Is there anything to this enzyme or am I dumping dollars into the drain?
2) Is there a cheaper alternative that will eat buildup in pipes without damaging them.

When the main does backup it burps up into the back yard and I'd like to avoid that.

Thanks in advance
apetrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2015, 01:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,932

I used bioclean and found it ate all the crud in the pipes except roots from trees.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 127

Burps up into the backyard. I think that is the clue. I have never cleaned my drains and unless you are dumping your bacon grease down the drain you should not to as well. Not as a routine.

I assume you have a septic tank or some other onsite disposal system . If it is city sewer then you have a problem with line from your house to the street. If it is onsite then that system is not working and that is probably the cause of your drain issue. If it's a septic tank when was the last time you had it pumped and inspected?
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,964

Old steel or cast drains?
They scale and close up on the insides.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:40 PM   #5

Thanks All,

My setup is cast iron to the city system. I do have some roots out front but they were minimal. I'll give the bio clean a shot.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:10 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

Do the sinks and tub have reduced drainage from the main being blocked, or do they become blocked to themselves? One thing I did not see any info on was a dishwasher. I have a dishwasher that has a separate 2" drain form the dishwasher to the 6" main under the house. About every 3 years I have to take this line apart, I have added Fernco couplings in two places for this, then use an attachment on my pressure washer to clean out the 2" line. Always, always, there is a type of gummy white residue in this 2" line with a tiny hole in the middle of it. I have been told by someone reliable that this is dishwasher soap scum buildup. I have tried different types of dishwasher detergents and tried using less detergent but this blockage keeps coming back. This is the only line of the house drainage system that does this. So is it possible that you may have this type problem?
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #7

Thanks Thurman,

No dishwashers and the drains slow down independently. I can tell when main is close to being completely clogged because the toilet will glugg after a flush.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement