Dowsing For Broken Pipes - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2015, 06:17 AM   #1
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

Dowsing for broken pipes

Would not have believed it if I had not seen it. The storm drain and sewer connect in one of my rental houses. Every time it rained water would come up through the floor.

So long story short, guy goes down into basement with some bent up coat hangers, starts walking around basement then the one hanger crosses over the next. This is where the break is the guy says.
He broke up the cement in the basement floor and found the break in the drain line. I am wondering two things, did he actually fix the problem? Also did he just get lucky, or was there a typical place sewer pipes break?
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
Plumber

Rewards Points: 254

Dowsing works- I've done it. But I located a pipe, not a break. So that part I don't know.
I would say that once he located the pipe, the break was an educated guess based on other visible signs from the leak.
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,285

There must not be any metal in the slab or the dowsing rods would have picked up that metal also and would have confused where the pipe was, unless he got a very strong action on the rods. Dowsing rods will work if they go over a dog or a puddle of water, but they for a fact do work.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Have to tell you a little story about dousing. I was working on a large sewage treatment plant project in Boston. We had to locate a couple of water lines. We hired a location company to find the lines.

I show up at 6AM, there is already a crowd. The Agency is there, a bunch of inspectors, engineers, you name it. The location company is there with a large, fancy truck full of dials and knobs. The technician explains that he has to calibrate the truck, its going to take a while. Two hours later he is still calibrating the equipment, pretty much everyone has left, got bored I guess.

When the last of the agency personnel has left, the technician shuts off the truck, pulls out a pair of coat hangers, and proceeds to "douse" for the water line. He makes a bunch of marks on the ground, we survey them onto the plan, the technician goes home, taking his fancy truck with him.

I am a total skeptic on dousing, I have read numerous U.S. Geological Survey reports debunking dousing. Nevertheless, it turns out that the water line is pretty much where the technician marked it. So I called the president of the company, told him that I was a total skeptic on dousing, and wondering how on earth his tech found that water line with a pair of coat hangers.

The president said "No big secret, he put that water line in a few years ago. He knew exactly where it was."

End of story.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (06-01-2015), bob22 (06-02-2015), Mort (06-02-2015), oh'mike (06-03-2015), ratherbefishing (06-03-2015), TheEplumber (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
Lord of Slums

I was thinking this guy deserves an award for his acting. If he is this master dowser why did he have to bend up a fresh pair of rods? I am waiting the rain to come now. I had a plumber come out before and charge me a good amount of money and not fix the problem, then a waterproofing company came out and charged me more money again.

If this repair works I will be happy. Maybe all these people are working together and they just keep scamming me!
Old 06-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,938

Did you watch him solid or did you leave when breaking the floor? If it was clay tile it is very easy to break it.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #7
Lord of Slums

I watched him until the pipe broke. It was a clay pipe and I had to run out of the house after the pipe broke because of the smell.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:38 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,414

No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowsin...ific_reception

Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement