Do I Need A Sump / Drain Tile? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2016, 06:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 101

Do I need a sump / drain tile?

I was replacing the sewage ejector basin this weekend.
To do so, I had to remove the existing one and re-dig a little bit so there was a 3ft hole in the ground. On leaving it overnight, it filled up with water to around 2ft but stayed stable at that depth.
I'm re-concreting around the basin but am worried that this is quite a high water table - it is spring though with snow melt season.
The water has never ever come through the concrete into the converted/liveable basement area but worried that it is very close to the concrete slab of the house.
Do I need a sump or have to install french drains around the concrete grade of the house?
qwertyjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,282

Re: Do I need a sump / drain tile?

You have never had basement flooding problems and the water level in the pit has stayed about a foot below the floor level.

You do not need a sump and drain tile system given this condition.

While you are at it, check around the outside of the foundation during a heavy rainstorm to see that water does not lap up against the foundation, and fix that if it happens. That will cut down further the chances of basement flooding after a bigger rainstorm.

A typical completed basement perimeter drain tile system (French drain) will probably bring the water table no lower than what you saw.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-08-2016 at 11:10 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 101

Re: Do I need a sump / drain tile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyjjj View Post
I was replacing the sewage ejector basin this weekend.
To do so, I had to remove the existing one and re-dig a little bit so there was a 3ft hole in the ground. On leaving it overnight, it filled up with water to around 2ft but stayed stable at that depth.
I'm re-concreting around the basin but am worried that this is quite a high water table - it is spring though with snow melt season.
The water has never ever come through the concrete into the converted/liveable basement area but worried that it is very close to the concrete slab of the house.
Do I need a sump or have to install french drains around the concrete grade of the house?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
You have never had basement flooding problems and the water level in the pit has stayed about a foot below the floor level.

You do not need a sump and drain tile system given this condition.

While you are at it, check around the outside of the foundation during a heavy rainstorm to see that water does not lap up against the foundation, and fix that if it happens. That will cut down further the chances of basement flooding after a bigger rainstorm.

A typical completed basement perimeter drain tile system (French drain) will probably bring the water table no lower than what you saw.
Is concrete permeable out of interest?
qwertyjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement