Do I Need A Plumber Or A Waterproofer? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26

Do I need a plumber or a waterproofer?

I've recently started having water enter my basement around the septic line. From the looks of it the foundation has settled over the years and broken the waterproofing around the PVC where it penetrates the poured foundation wall. Instead of being centered in the hole with a seal around it, the pipe is now at the top of the hole and there's an open space at the bottom.
This has been the case since I bought the house, but I've just started having water enter through the opening during heavy rains.

Is this a job for a waterproofing company or a plumber? I figure that the foundation wall pressing down on the pipe is just as big an issue as the water coming in around it so it really requires 2 fixes....relieving the stress on the pipe and resealing on the inside and outside of the foundation wall.

Do I need one or the other or both?
canooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 13,516

Re: Do I need a plumber or a waterproofer?

How far down under the earth is it?

Definitely on the waterproofer, and maybe they can readjust or relieve the pressure on the pipe.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #3

Septic line is actually very shallow. 18" give or take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2017, 06:23 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,312

Ayuh,.... Like most water leaks into foundations, the cure usually starts, 'n finishes Outside,.....

Is there settlin' in that area trappin' the water,..??

There should be good pitch, Away from the house,......
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... Like most water leaks into foundations, the cure usually starts, 'n finishes Outside,.....

Is there settlin' in that area trappin' the water,..??

There should be good pitch, Away from the house,......
I plan to pull the pinestraw back from the foundation there and see what the dirt situation is ASAP. Very possible there's a low spot there that can be filled.

That said, it's not really possible to slope away from the foundation there because it's the front wall of the house, which happens to be wall under the front porch. The floor of the porch is only 6 or 8 inches higher than ground level, plus there's a cement walkway about 30" from the wall at that spot. Piling dirt for a slope would require leveling the ground with the porch and covering the front walk.

I've attached a somewhat grainy image of the pipe in question. You can see where the seal has broken and how the pipe seems to be under some pressure from above and where some moisture has run down the wall (this is an older pic...there's shelving in the way of a clear pic now)

Old 01-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #6

Quote:
That said, it's not really possible to slope away from the foundation there because it's the front wall of the house, which happens to be wall under the front porch. The floor of the porch is only 6 or 8 inches higher than ground level, plus there's a cement walkway about 30" from the wall at that spot. Piling dirt for a slope would require leveling the ground with the porch and covering the front walk.
Ayuh,.... The point is, surface water needs to pitch away from the house, porch, walkway, Whatever, to get the water away from the hole in the foundation,......
Old 01-04-2017, 09:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Ayuh,.... The point is, surface water needs to pitch away from the house, porch, walkway, Whatever, to get the water away from the hole in the foundation,......
I get that and will address it as well as I can. That said, the unsealed hole in the foundation needs to be addressed as well, correct? Probably inside and out?

Would this be best done by a plumber or a waterproofing company?
Old 01-04-2017, 11:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by canooten View Post
I get that and will address it as well as I can. That said, the unsealed hole in the foundation needs to be addressed as well, correct? Probably inside and out?

Would this be best done by a plumber or a waterproofing company?
Ayuh,.... This is a Diy site, why not fix it yerself,..??

Accordin' to yer previous post, gettin' to the outside is Impossible,....

That leaves fixin' the inside, after the water is diverted outside,....
For the inside fix, after the water outside is diverted,...
Dig out any loose materials from around the pipe, 'n fill the hole with bagged hydraulic grout, mixed to a fairly stiff consistency,...
Trowel it in, 'n strike it off smooth,...
Old 01-04-2017, 11:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Ayuh,.... This is a Diy site, why not fix it yerself,..??

Accordin' to yer previous post, gettin' to the outside is Impossible,....

That leaves fixin' the inside, after the water is diverted outside,....
For the inside fix, after the water outside is diverted,...
Dig out any loose materials from around the pipe, 'n fill the hole with bagged hydraulic grout, mixed to a fairly stiff consistency,...
Trowel it in, 'n strike it off smooth,...
Never said impossible to get to - just can't fix it the way I'd consider right. That would be piling dirt up against the foundation at least a foot above ground level and gradually sloping away. Doing that would put 4 inches of dirt on my covered front porch and would cover my front walkway...I've gotta consider aesthetics as well as practicality.

I will pull back the pinestraw between the walkway and the foundation wall and see if there are any low spots that might be collecting water and fill them if so. It's also possible that I could put some extra dirt down and raise that area a 2 or 3 inches and slope it slightly towards the walk. I'll explore that.

Back to my original question though - any plumbers that are present - does that pipe look like it's under more pressure than it should be? My concern there is that if the foundation wall is putting weight on that pipe and any more settling occurs (assuming that's the issue in the first place), just how much pressure can PVC take before it cracks? I don't want to risk my septic line cracking...especially inside the house. Should I explore options on relieving that stress? I'd assume that would take digging the pipe up away from the foundation to allow it to straighten? That would also allow the penetration to be properly resealed on the outside of the wall.

If I though the inside gap were the only issue I'd have filled it already.

Last edited by canooten; 01-04-2017 at 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-04-2017, 04:32 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,952

Yes it looks like the septic guy over dug did not tap his back fill so you have pipe settling. When you get a chance dig it up and make sure you reseal the 4 inch to the 6 inch and remove the stress from your drain pipe before it snaps.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Yes it looks like the septic guy over dug did not tap his back fill so you have pipe settling. When you get a chance dig it up and make sure you reseal the 4 inch to the 6 inch and remove the stress from your drain pipe before it snaps.
How much of that would need to be dug up? Or do you just dig it until the pipe goes back to center?
Old 01-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,952

You may need to dig 10 foot away from the house so the pipe goes back to normal placement.

The alternative is ignore it and hope for the best. Just fill in the space between the outer pipe and inner pipe with spray foam to maintain some flexibility in case it shifts farther. I would wait for better weather.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 01-04-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement