Do I Need A New Fill Valve? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 52

Do I need a new fill valve?

The house I bought has a brand new toilet and we just realized that it never stops running and almost emptied our well. Water keeps coming out of the refill tube and flowing into the overflow tube nonstop. You can see it in the picture. I pull up the float ball to the highest point and it still flows. Not a hint of slowing down.

Is there an adjustment in the fill valve that will stop the water flow once it hits the fill line?

Last edited by mudeprived; 11-08-2015 at 09:27 AM.
mudeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2015, 10:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

If you lift the lever and it doesn't shut off the water, you need a new unit. It can be any type of unit ,so it doesn't need to be the same one you have now. Any plumbing supply or big box store will have them. I'd get the kit that contains a new flapper as well.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2015, 10:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,286

The small plastic vertical rod with the + looking end that's between the float and fill valve lever may be an adjustment to stop water flow at a higher or lower level in the tank.

I also see that according to the pictures the tank water level is lower than normal shut off level.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 226

Is that flapper valve not seating right ? If it is not the fill valve will also keep running.
daveblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
Plumber

Rewards Points: 240

You may have debris from the well water causing the valve to stick open- remove the blue cap and clean the needle valve assembly.
Be sure to shut off the water first.

Or buy a new fluid master kit and replace the hole thing- but my money's on sediment in the valve
Old 11-08-2015, 09:49 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 52

A new fluid master kid was $10 so I bought that and installed it in less than 10 minutes. Everything works as it should. My toilet flushes my poo magnificently!

I'm betting you are right about the debris stuck in there cuz both screens in the faucets of the kitchen and bathroom were almost completely clogged with debris. You can see the layer of crap at the bottom of the tank in the pictures above. This is a brand new toilet so it should be clean.
mudeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:57 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,286

Your well system needs a sediment tank followed by a whole house filter. This can be fairly simple and inexpensive.

If the correct size of debris ever gets into the valve of the washing machine your house will flood if you aren't there to notice and shut the water off. Pushing the stop button on the machine won't stop the water flow. Been there done that but was home and caught the problem early.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement