DIY'er Needs Some Advice (I'll Air Mail Some Xmas Cookies Your Way...no Joke) - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Arrow

DIY'er Needs Some Advice (I'll air mail some xmas cookies your way...no joke)

Hey, I'm a new member but Iíve been cruising the forum for a while now. I need some advice on my ensuite bathroom plumbing.

I have two Concerns:

#1) There seems to be only one 1.5" vent for the three fixtures.
#2) At the old shower drain location, there is a long tail piece which is connected to the p trap which is quite low (below the joists).

#1) There is a wye off the sink's p trap, the dry vent is 1.5" and the waste pipe is 2". The shower's waste pipe is also 2" and is wye'd into the sinks waste pipe....they carry on to dump into the stack. The shower seems to be wet vented from the sink. The toilet also dumps into the stack at the same location. The toilet is a short run, three or four feet until the stack. Should the toilet have a dry vent? Is the 1.5" dry vent sufficient to vent these fixtures?

#2) The old shower drain had a fairly long tail piece until it reached the p trap (12-18"). Iím assuming this was done to avoid having a steep (5"-6") drop off after the p trap. I want to move the drain, and I'd like to have the p trap right below the shower grate. How long does the shower trap arm have to be until I can have it drop that 5"-6" and into the sinks waste pipe? Is it even permissible? Do I have to maintain the 1/4" per foot slope? Should I consider boring through my joists so I can raise the height of the 2" waste pipes, and establish a 1/4" slope from the new shower p trap location? Or simply place a new p trap in a similar location and add another long arm from the shower drain to the trap?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ken.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY'er Needs Some Advice (I'll air mail some xmas cookies your way...no joke)-1.jpg   DIY'er Needs Some Advice (I'll air mail some xmas cookies your way...no joke)-2.jpg   DIY'er Needs Some Advice (I'll air mail some xmas cookies your way...no joke)-3.jpg  

Last edited by SkullFacker; 12-11-2016 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added Picture #3
SkullFacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4

Re: DIY'er Needs Some Advice (I'll air mail some xmas cookies your way...no joke)

The stack the 3" toilet pipe and 2" wastes pipes wye into (BLUE) doesn't extend up into the ceiling. It appears to be a soil stack.
SkullFacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,684

Re: DIY'er Needs Some Advice (I'll air mail some xmas cookies your way...no joke)

Replace trap. Out of top of new trap put a 90 and go to drain location.

Just pretend that the existing trap is not glued. If it were not, you could swing the trap around toward the heat duct, then twist the 45 in the top of the trap around. Then put in another 45 and go to the drain.

To bad the trap is glued up, guess you will just have to cut it out and rebuild it that way.

Last edited by hkstroud; 12-11-2016 at 06:05 PM.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement