Difficult Inspector - Air Chamber - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2016, 05:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34
Lightbulb

Difficult Inspector - air chamber

An Inspector and I had a disagreement. He gave permission for the drywall to go up and he inspected and passed the drywall. Later he found out the Plumbing Rough was not done - in the computer system. He actually did inspect Plumbing rough, but because I never specifically called for a Plumbing Rough it didn't get input into the computer system. He forgot he inspected it and passed it verbally.

Long story short, he wanted me to open the walls to insure an "air chamber" was put in for the refrigerator (ice maker) and the dish-washer. I refused since he had already inspected it and he had given me permission to put up the drywall.

So I did an end-run (football term). I closed the ice-maker valve, capped the 3/8 compression fitting and custom fit some drywall over the valve that is recessed into the wall, chalked and painted it. Then I yanked the dishwasher, plugged it's drain in the disposal and replaced the hot water valve with one that only had one out-put to the facet.

When the Inspector showed up he now had nothing to pass or fail as far as the air-chambers go. I removed them from the equation. He scratched them from the list. I made it easy for him and made some some extra work for me. But it was worth it.

Of course, I know the air chambers are there and I will reverse my work in due time. Now, everyone is happy.

Best of all I didn't have to cut through 3/4" wood (back of cabinet) and then 1/2" drywall to show him the air-chamber for the dishwasher.

The inspector's boss told me to just put in an external air-chamber, like for a cloths washer. But it would not work on a sweated fitting for the ice-maker or for the fittings for the dish-washer.

Last edited by tim999; 04-30-2016 at 05:23 PM.
tim999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,580

Re: Difficult Inspector - air chamber

Next time just make sure you call for all your rough-in inspections before drywall and avoid the confrontation and extra work. The inspector normally has a written work order of sorts based on what you call in for. They might not be looking to see if you've had all your prior inspections. In a case like this, the burden of proof would fall on you.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
tim999 (04-30-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2016, 06:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,048

take pics of stuff. that should make them happy. and, if you need to, it can help remind you of things you did. i have a bunch of pics of the inwall plumbing, among other things.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
tim999 (04-30-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,294

Aren't you supposed to get a (written) sign off on the plumbing rough inspection as well as all of the other sub-inspections?
tim999 (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 11:44 PM   #5

My Inspector did not give me a "written" sign off, he would only give me a list of things to fix. The Elec. Inspector did put a green tag on a window where they can circle the various completed inspections, but some did not care to update it even when it was pointed out to them. Also my normal Inspector hates computers. The other Inspectors had a laptop and a printer in their truck. They gave me a print-out of things to fix and updated the main computer immediately, but my Inspector (old-school) did things on paper, which means he had to turn in the paper work and someone had to update the computer system for him. If he lost his paperwork then someone got screwed.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:40 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,866

Air Chambers are a mechanical device why is your inspector allowing it to be buried behind drywall where it cannot be replaced once it fails?
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:55 AM   #7

Q. "Can these water hammer arrestors be installed inside a wall?"
A. Yes. All of the water hammer arrestors shown above are approved for sealed wall installations with no access panel required.
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/water...arresters.html
Old 05-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,048

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim999 View Post
Q. "Can these water hammer arrestors be installed inside a wall?"
A. Yes. All of the water hammer arrestors shown above are approved for sealed wall installations with no access panel required.
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/water...arresters.html
approved does not always mean 'best pracctice".. ESPECIALLY when this thing does fail, it is a ton of work to replace it. i put mine right inside the cabinet, right by the ball valve shutoffs. and the ball valves are handicap accessible.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
Ghostmaker (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,866

Some people care and some just do not.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
Fix'n it (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 08:45 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,294

If the inspector gives you a list of things to fix then he is supposed to come back and verify that those things are fixed and then circle the appropriate item on your green card.

After that you may go on to the next step that might cover up the work done so far.
tim999 (05-01-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
air-chamber , dishwasher , inspector