On Demand - Hot Water Recirculation System - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2014, 12:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 187

On demand - Hot Water Recirculation System

Hello,

I am looking at installing a hot water recirculation system, since most fixtures in my single story home are located far from the water heater. I do not want a system where the pump cycles automatically based on water temperature in the line. This seems wasteful. Instead I'm looking for one where the system recognizes flow and turns the pump on as a result. I do not have and cannot install a separate return line.

First I looked at a system where the pump is placed at the farthest fixture, but in doing research, I found systems where a pump is placed at the water heater and a bypass valve is placed at the farthest fixture. An example would be "WaterQuick Pro II" http://www.fasterhotwater.com/WaterQuick%20Pro.shtml

1) Are these approved by plumbing codes - especially in CA? Any things that I need to be aware of in regard to code requirements?
2) Are you aware of any issues that can arise from using recirc systems? Can it harm the plumbing in any way?
3) Are there specific reasons why I should not get a system where the pump is located at the water heater?
4) Do you know of other systems that function like the "WaterQuick Pro II"?

Last edited by Jaxx; 10-26-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,536

That all seems very complicated and the end result is almost the same.... standing there waiting for hot water.

I'd be more inclined to do something like hooking the pump up to the light switch. Turn the bathroom light on and the pump fires up. Turn the light off the the pump shuts down. Maybe even a timed proximity switch? Walk into the bathroom and the pump fires up. Time runs out the pump shuts off.

Pump location.. I don't think it really matters, but if it's at the H20 tank it'll probably be easier to service and supply power to.

Last edited by Bob Sanders; 10-26-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Sanders For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (10-26-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
Plumber

Rewards Points: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
Hello,

I am looking at installing a hot water recirculation system, since most fixtures in my single story home are located far from the water heater. I do not want a system where the pump cycles automatically based on water temperature in the line. This seems wasteful. Instead I'm looking for one where the system recognizes flow and turns the pump on as a result. I do not have and cannot install a separate return line.

First I looked at a system where the pump is placed at the farthest fixture, but in doing research, I found systems where a pump is placed at the water heater and a bypass valve is placed at the farthest fixture. An example would be "WaterQuick Pro II" http://www.fasterhotwater.com/WaterQuick%20Pro.shtml

1) Are these approved by plumbing codes - especially in CA? Any things that I need to be aware of in regard to code requirements?
2) Are you aware of any issues that can arise from using recirc systems? Can it harm the plumbing in any way?
3) Are there specific reasons why I should not get a system where the pump is located at the water heater?
4) Do you know of other systems that function like the "WaterQuick Pro II"?
1. Should OK for code.
2. No harm, except some claim it's hard on copper piping
3.Pump is fine at either location. Some are noisier than others- which you may not like in a master bath next to the bedroom.
4. Don't know of any and probably wouldn't but the Waterquick
I would go with a Laing or Watts system since I am familiar with those brands.
I prefer an aqua-stat or timer too.
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 08:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6

Chilipepper ...

We have been using a Chilipepper demand pump in the master bedroom bath, farthest from the water heater, and it works great (crossover hot to cold until temp rises). Wife objects some to the noise level, but it's only for a minute. We added an old X10 controller to kick it on from anywhere in the house.

P.S. The Chilipepper comes with tees that assume 3/8 compression fittings at faucet ... our house is all 1/2 FIP so we had to make our own tees.
Attached Thumbnails
On demand - Hot Water Recirculation System-img_0286.jpg  

Last edited by Alfred_C; 03-11-2015 at 08:04 PM. Reason: afterthought
Alfred_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement