Defeating Water Saver In Toilet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2016, 07:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,296

defeating water saver in toilet

I already bought American Standard Champion.
Should have waited. Now I'm thinking in this old house with main sewer in unknown condition, I should have far-est toilet that can push with most water. It also will be only toilet in the first floor and most used.
In past, cheap kohler could be defeated with just replacing the flapper with regular store bought kind. Can we tamper with champion with some modifying?
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2016, 08:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,286

Re: defeating water saver in toilet

Your strategy may or may not work. You may need to use trial and error, perhaps with different branded flappers or modifying the shape of the flapper bottom (or any fins on top) so the flapper does not drop down as quickly.

One toilet I dealt with had a conical plastic dam in the tank around the flapper area that held back some of the water. I cut away the dam so more water would go into the bowl for each flush. The benefits might still have been limited by the diameter of the channel from the tank to the bowl.

Modern low flow toilets won't fail immediately in an old house but insufficient water flow might result in, over time, solids collecting in the short (ore maybe not so short) nearly horizontal run of drain line just under the bowl.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-25-2016 at 08:24 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2016, 08:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,286

Ran out of editing time after making several scattered changes so reproduced the whole corrected version here.

Your strategy may or may not work. You may need to use trial and error, perhaps with different branded flappers or modifying the shape of the flapper bottom (or any fins on top) so the flapper does not drop down as quickly.

One toilet I dealt with had a conical plastic dam in the tank around the flapper area that held back some of the water. I cut away the dam so more water would go into the bowl for each flush. The benefits might still have been limited by the diameter of the channel from the tank to the bowl.

Modern low flow toilets won't fail immediately in an older house but insufficient water flow might result in, over time, solids collecting in the short (or maybe not so short) nearly horizontal run of drain line in the floor just under the bowl.
carpdad (09-25-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,596

When problems similar to yours rear their ugly head I often start testing with two 3 gallon pails of water to possibly narrow the culprit. I dump the first in rapidly just shy of overflow to test for partial blockage. If it flows with authority as fast as I dump it, I quickly grab the the second and repeat. If yours passes this test then modifying the flush valve for more flow may be beneficial.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
carpdad (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 04:20 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Will have to study the flush system, I guess. That's a good tip on the tank and testing how quickly it can get rid of the water.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 38

Now a reply from someone with actual extensive experience with the Champion toilet...No you can not change the amount of water per flush. No toilet sold today will have a greater water volume flush. You picked a good toilet, install it with the confidence it will work good and do not worry about any issues with your pipes.
SHR Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SHR Plumber For This Useful Post:
carpdad (09-27-2016), Ghostmaker (09-26-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 08:03 AM   #7

With a flush every 4 years, we are always getting locked into a better future.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,580

Are you concerned with the volume of water flowing through the drains? If so, can't you just flush it twice?
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:40 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,860

Been my experience the 4 inch drains only tend to block if they are level or back pitched (not falling toward the sewer). The other factor is flushing things that are not human waste or toilet paper down them. Like paper towels, disposable wipes.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement