Deep Well Or Shallow Well? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Deep well or Shallow well?

Should the following a deep well or shallow well?
Water is 19 feet from surface. Water is 40 feet deep (total from ground to bottom of well is 59 ft). Downpipe is 45 feet long.

Any help understanding this is appreciated
foligno03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,882

Re: Deep well or Shallow well?

You need to clarify your question. Are you just asking in general, or do you have a specific question like what pump should I buy ?
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,520

A half horse power submerged pump down to about 40 feet will be fine.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,982

Shallow well will suck water up to about 25 feet lower than the pump. Theory says you should be able to suck to 32 feet but that is not practical. That would be the water level not how deep the pipe is. At 19' you can use a shallow well pump until the water level gets below 25-30 feet even if the end of the draw pipe is 45.

If the well is expect to draw down below 30' then you need to install a deep well setup.

Last edited by joed; 12-23-2016 at 02:42 PM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:36 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,266

Ayuh,.... Bite the bullet, 'n buy a submersible, 'n be done with it,....
Even at water front, We've been usin' 'em for years,....
Quick, simple, easy, 'n no noise in the crawl space when a pump kicks on,...

Drop one down say 50', 'n use torque arresters the length of the down-pipe,....
Tank, 'n switch at the top, 'n yer done,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:44 PM   #6

thanks for the replies guys!

Oso - good point - I have a 3/4 HP convertible set up as a shallow well pump. It used to pump about 2 bathtubs a day. It would start to push air, so I would unplug and come back in a few hours and it would be ok for a while, and so on. Recently it has been losing prime a lot and delivering 1/4 that. I have since replaced the down pipe and foot valve. No better luck.

Senior Citizen and Bondo - I agree that this is likely the best solution but I have 2 things working against me:
1. I have horses in the area where the well is (4 inch drilled pipe) so hoses and cables exposed would be a problem.
2. I am beginning to think that there is less and less water to be had. I will use a fishing rod and bobber and take some measurements soon. I would seriously hate to invest in a new pump and have it run dry.

joed - this was the type of answer I was looking for. I want to redo the setup in spring and have quite a bit of horizontal pipe to get to my pumphouse (70 ft or so). I will likely need to rent a trencher. If I need to go to that expense, I want to do it right if I dont go the submersible pump route
Old 12-23-2016, 09:44 PM   #7
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,100

You may want to do a test often done by well drillers to determine capacity. Measure the water level (head) then run the pump at a known useful volume - often 5-10 gpm -for an hour then measure the head again.

I agree that a submersible is the best way to go. It sounds like you are in an area not subject to freezing if you are running water and power lines above ground.

You might want to check your local health unit (or whoever governs domestic potable water sources) for any specific rules regarding sealing and capping to prevent ground water intrusion, height of casing above grade and, particularly important for your set-up, how close a well is allowed to be or any other specific rules for a well near where livestock are yarded. Up here, a primary dwelling without an approved water supply is likely uninhabitable, un-financeable (word??) and uninsurable.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
Oso954 (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 05:33 AM   #8

Another option becoming popular, especially in remote ranch areas, is the solar system, and yes, they must have their own corral as cattle can be very destructive.
Attached Thumbnails
Deep well or Shallow well?-solar.jpg  
Old 12-24-2016, 08:57 AM   #9

oops - I should clarify that its DANG cold in these parts - currently the horizontal pipe is 3 ft below ground and the water is for the horses
Old 12-24-2016, 09:21 AM   #10

If I ever need to re-work my well it will incorporate a pit-less adapter. I already have the freeze proof hydrants.
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2016, 11:50 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,882

Quote:
how close a well is allowed to be or any other specific rules for a well near where livestock are yarded.
Excellent point.
Even if its not a rule, many states or counties have recommendations. It is wise to follow them.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #12
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,266

Quote:
1. I have horses in the area where the well is (4 inch drilled pipe) so hoses and cables exposed would be a problem.
2. I am beginning to think that there is less and less water to be had. I will use a fishing rod and bobber and take some measurements soon. I would seriously hate to invest in a new pump and have it run dry.
Ayuh,.... If there's no water, it don't much matter how ya try to pump it,....

The sub-pumps can be run just above the sediment level, of whatever water there is in the hole,...

One of the pumps I service up in the river has a ceramic filter housin' incasin' the whole pump, I guess it acts as a filter to keep the pump from grindin' the debris,...
It's kinda like a fish tank air stone, only harder/ heavier,....
I believe it would also drop down a well casin',....

The wires can be run in another shallower trench over the pipe that's there, the switch can be at the other end,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #13
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by foligno03 View Post
oops - I should clarify that its DANG cold in these parts - currently the horizontal pipe is 3 ft below ground and the water is for the horses
Then you won't have to satisfy any health department requirements, but you still want to provide safe water for you livestock - hence sealing to casing from surface runoff intrusion. If you have to bury power, it will have to meet local requirements for depth, wire type and size for your intended pump.

I find frost-free yard hydrants so very handy.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:20 PM   #14

Pitless adapter sounds great. I will get one. Another note...the pipe is all 1 inch poly pipe...red stripe; 75 psi. I assume this was also a bad idea...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement