Culligan Estate 2/2M O-Ring Size - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2015, 12:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Culligan Estate 2/2M O-Ring Size

Hi All,

Long time lurker, learned a lot from this forum.

I have a Culligan Estate 2/2M Water Softener (Circa Dec 1999). There is a small leak (seeping) between the Soft-Minder Meter and the Estate 2/2M. I think that the o-rings on the Soft-Minder Meter (looks like that is the "male" side that plugs into the Estate 2/2M valve head) need to be replaced. Can some one provide me with the correct catalog number for these o-rings? I have the "O-Ring Directory" from Culligan to cross reference the catalog number to actual o-ring dimension.

Additional info:
1) "Softener is shipped with Culligan Cul-Flo-Valv bypass valve, either PN 01-0124-88 or PN 01-0102-38".
2) The Soft-Minder Meter is between the bypass valve and the Estate 2/2M valve head.

Thanks.
homster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 01:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

Give Culligan a call. They may replace them at no cost. Especially if the system has not had a check up in a long time.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 1,184

One of the main reasons for the seal between the valve body and the meter assembly would be that the bypass is no longer lined up, another words it is either higher or lower than the valve. make sure that the pipes in and out have not changed as that could be the reason for the leak and not a bad o ring.
If the bypass is good then put it in bypass , start a cycle and unplug the power once water stops going to the drain.
remove the o ring in question and find a true valve as the one here has a wall of o rings and find the one that best fits the one in question.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #4

gregzoll - Culligan is not customer friendly. My experience with them is that they don't want to talk to you unless you agree to a service call (min charge of $129 in 2008; probably $150 now).

Akpsdvan - The unit has not been moved nor realigned since installation (approx Dec 1999)... It just started seeping on its own. So I did what you suggested and separated the valve head from the bypass (Soft-Minder Meter) to inspect the o-rings. The o-rings are flattened and sort of dissolved. I don't think that I can used those o-rings as a sample to get replacements from True Value. I think I need the o-ring dimensions now . Do you happen to know their size?
Old 07-28-2015, 08:09 PM   #5

$150 for the PVC pieces and O-rings. You could probably get the O-Rings from Ace Hardware, if Tru-Value does not have them.

From the blog I pulled up, there is nothing special about the O-Rings, other than Culligan as you stated is into Mafia style robbery.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #6

Follow up...
After several runs to Ace Hardware and purchasing several sizes of o-rings at a time , I finally found the correct o-ring. It is:
1"OD x 13/16"ID x 3/32"

gregzoll - yeah, I'm not happy with Culligan's customer service nor their prices... About a year ago, I walked into the Culligan store/center and attempted to purchase two o-rings for the eductor assembly. They wouldn't sell me two o-rings, but I can buy their "rebuild kit", which contains that small eductor with o-rings, for $81.00 . So I went to Home Depot and spent something like $1.00 for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to homster For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-28-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #7

I always take the part with me, when trying. Looks like the O-Ring kits that Harbor Freight carries, would be ideal to keep on hand. Better than having to go run out and get an O-Ring every time you needed one for something.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:36 PM   #8
Water Treatment

From time to time there are used Culligan parts showing up on what some might call the lead auction site that starts with E.
Now there is a used motor and a cam and the brine piston and its housing.
Taking the best o ring that there is along for a parts search is always a good idea and some thing that I still do today.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
From time to time there are used Culligan parts showing up on what some might call the lead auction site that starts with E.
Now there is a used motor and a cam and the brine piston and its housing.
Taking the best o ring that there is along for a parts search is always a good idea and some thing that I still do today.
I saw that when I did the search on ebay. Problem is that you really have to be careful on used parts.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:33 PM   #10
Water Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I saw that when I did the search on ebay. Problem is that you really have to be careful on used parts.
Very true, some sell the parts and others rebuild them when needed and then sell them, lower than what Culligan sells them for.
I would say find some one that is and find out if others have bought the culligan parts and if they where happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement