Cracks In Shower Enclosure. :( - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2015, 09:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 48

Cracks in Shower Enclosure. :(

All,

About a week ago I noticed two parallel cracks a few inches from the drain in my one piece fiberglass shower enclosure. I first called a refinishing place, and they said they can refinish it. However, given I don't know how long the cracks have been there, I'm concerned that water may have already gotten underneath.

I then called a shower replacement company. They said they may need to not just remove the one piece enclosure, but also the connecting drywall all around it to ensure a clean seam.

I was also reading that showers have a pan beneath that's designed to catch water that's gotten underneath and route it out. I bought this place about a year ago. The building was constructed in 1971, but I have no way to know how old the shower enclosure is. When you think about it, having a pan there seems obvious. What are my chances of there being one there? If there is, I could just refinish to fix the cracks.

Someone from the shower replacement company is coming out in a few days to take a look.

Advice?

Thanks,
Doug
dgarstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015, 09:45 PM   #2
Plumber

Rewards Points: 248

If this is a one piece fg shower unit, there will not be a pan under it. I believe you're referring to a tile base shower. They have liners under the tile.

With the info you supplied my guess is the base is not supported, hence the stress cracks.
To quarentee the fix, replace the whole unit. While doing that you could check for any water damage. Sorry for the bad news, but based on your description, thats my guess.
oh'mike (09-02-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 28

TheEplumber has this one right from what you said. But one piece showers were not a common thing in the 70's. It has probably been replaced in the 90's or 2000's. Without pictures it is hard to tell, but experience says they are stress cracks, as a lot of people don't support the base. Replacement is probably the best thing. If there is access from below you may want to check and see if there has been water under the base. If not--(fingers crossed)--a refinish may do the trick. (I would really look at the replacement, cause the cracks could come back if the base is not properly supported.)
Best of luck!!!
Blaine125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement