Cpvc - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 850

Cpvc

i live in a area where the water to us all comes form a well, lot of iron. my galvanized pipe is about finished, ive replaced the lines at the water tank already but with such low volume coming out of the faucets i feel its time to go ahead and replace all the galvanize lines, not to much really, main is pvc then connects under home to galvanize. one bathroom, the connections for the bathroom sink, shower and kitchen sink are all in the same closet as the water tank. the man doing it says this Cpvc for hot is the way to go. for both hot and cold. thoughts ?
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,414

CPVC is okay but PEX has been gaining a lot of market share each of the past few years--I think people on this site almost exclusively recommend PEX now. It's also especially popular with DiY'ers.

The price is comparable. CPVC gets brittle with age, and I've heard bad things about how long the valves last. CPVC is also non-proprietary, which is a bit of a selling point--no need to find the store with the right *brand* of the kind of pipe you want if you have to make an emergency repair.

There is a little more work with CPVC, but it's pretty easy work. (Gluing stuff... remember Kindergarten?) And it's rigid, which naturally takes away a tiny bit of flexibility, but not enough that it's a problem.

I picked up CPVC to do my brother's house (same boat as you) and will use that when we get around to it; if I were doing it now I might use PEX, just because I hear so much good about it. But either one works fine.

Code around here requires you to use CPVC for both hot and cold if you use it for hot.
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #3

Oh!

Also, you might want to get two more bids.

Also, don't make the guy do PEX if he only knows CPVC. People have their favorites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #4

agree, he likes cpvc and therefore know it. anyway $800.00 for the whole job, what i figured, hes been here for 11 years, and ive been dealing with him, plus a child on the way. it includes two new ball check valves, all the galv. replaced and pretty much all new 3/4" & 1/2" lines.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #5

Yeah, if you're sure you want to go with him I'd probably let him do it with CPVC, but might ask him to use non-CPVC valves. Again, they have a bad reputation, although maybe one of the plumbers here can speak to whether they see problems with them in the field?
Old 04-22-2015, 08:30 PM   #6
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,012

CPVC is garbage its such a small job get bids in copper may be worth the extra money can't say anything about pex never used it started using CPVC to stay competitive but quickly stopped we bid in copper USA copper only,, if the customer wants the cheaper stuff we say goodbye and move on to the next.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
mj12 (05-08-2016)
Old 04-22-2015, 09:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,130

When I built my house 6 years ago, I did all the supply plumbing with CPVC. I've done copper before, and this time was much cheaper, easier, and quicker. I spent less on pipe and fittings than a PEX crimp tool alone would've cost. And forget copper - it was insanely expensive then, and worse now. I did use brass shutoff valves just because I don't like the plastic ones.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:10 PM   #8
Noob

Rewards Points: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
we bid in copper USA copper only
Very cool That would be a huge + if you were bidding a job for me..
Eddie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:16 AM   #9

hes doing the job saturday. figure if pvc last 40 + years here then CPVC should last a few.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:33 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod351 View Post
hes doing the job saturday. figure if pvc last 40 + years here then CPVC should last a few.
Can't say that didn't also factor into my decision to use CPVC. I'm already 67 so don't expect failure in my lifetime. Kinda morbid, actually, but I guess when you get old you start thinking that way. We also have a 40-year history of never owning the same house for more than maybe five years; already talking about selling the log house we built by ourselves.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:10 AM   #11

yeah im 64 here. just going to get it done before i have to get it done. cant be sitting around getting bids when youve got a water fall happening. besides he said it would be under $700.00 so i said that id give him $800.00, that made him happy, no need to cut any corners. besides i just did a job where i cleared $800.00 for 6 hours work so its paid for.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 136

Cpvc is quick, cheap, and easy to install. Does not require special tools for install, and pretty much anyone can work with it.

However, if not cleaned/ prepped/ glued properly, can come apart at joints. If you live in an environment that has any chance of freezing weather, cpvc is the most brittle of any piping material and causes the most structural damage because of bursting. If there is any chance in a million that your furnace or heater or electric could go out during any cold spell, I highly recommend staying away from cpvc for pressurized water supply lines. Sorry, It was great when it first came out, but if you are being charged $800 to replace what galv lines you have with cpvc, there must be a lot of time being accounted for cutting open access to justify that price, and not going out and buying a $90 crimper that will do all pex sizes. I have not seen your house, nor the job bid, but experience to me, and I do this for a living (unfortunately), cpvc is bad nowadays in all aspects except P&T valve applications, and even then I hate using it as it is brittle and kids playing nearby can accidentally bump into it and it splits. Just being real here.
karin els is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:24 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 136

Oh, and there is a big difference between pvc, and cpvc. Just because pvc lasts 40 plus years (when properly installed), I would not hold 1/4 of the faith in cpvc. Sorry, like I said, just being real and have the experience to back my opinion.
karin els is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #14

the $800.00 is for all the lines under my home, plus two new check ball valves for my washer, which right now are pvc and galv. the galv. is at the hot water heater, and one galv. line goes to the laundry room for the hot water. he is also replacing the small copper water lines going to my bathroom, kitchen and shower faucets. by the way it a mobile home and access is only under the back side, and its a tight fit, plus filthy under there. most people in the area ive talked to in the last few years talked about $1800.00 to have there mobiles done, granted they had two bathrooms and i only have one. he said it would take about 9 or 10 hours and that the material would be that much, so he already told me the material wasnt to expensive. all i know is that i dont want to be crawling around under my mobile, that is in and out who knows how any times, and if the material ended up costing me $200.00, well its worth it to pay him.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:58 AM   #15

Re: Cpvc

well it time to do it. going with pex, also with a license contractor. its going to run $2000.00. or ill do it myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement