Coupling Between Cast Iron And PVC Drainage Pipe In 80's - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree10Likes

Old 01-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 33

I accidentally put a little bit of Easy Off heavy duty oven cleaner down the drain with about 7 cups of water plus a tidbit of SOS soap. This was after cleaning a cast iron skillet. I should have flushed about 2 gallons of water down the drain with that. But carelessly I didn't. It didn't affect the PVC pipe probably. The PVC pipe runs about 20 feet and then it hits the old cast iron pipe. I was wondering if it could have affected the couplings that were installed in 1985 while adding a den to this house.

I even read the history of how PVC pipes originated. I'm assuming couplings are plasterized to make them slightly softer than hard pipe. I haven't went in the crawl space to see how they're connected. It would save me time and possibly money. If someone knew if the couplings were PVC instead of some type of rubber. Easy Off is mostly sodium hydroxide. There is a one in a million chance that anything is wrong. It might be a dumb and stupid question but it saves me a little time here instead of going all over town for a plumber and asking them what the situation might be. I guess PVC coupling are immune to corrosion.

I'm hoping back in 1985 couplings were modernized and made of PVC and not rubber. Could you tell me anything about this ?????

Last edited by steve3847; 01-11-2020 at 05:12 PM.
steve3847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 4,674

Re: Coupling between cast iron and PVC drainage pipe in 80's

The modern thing would be rubber, and if it is you could call them and ask.

https://www.fernco.com/downloads/ins...t-installation
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2020, 05:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,306

In 1985 and today, a connection of PVC pipe to cast iron pipe would be made by a rubber insert if connecting to a cast iron hub or by a rubber coupling with clamps if connecting to a cast iron pipe with out a hub.

Go worry about whether or not your favorite sports team is going to win this weekend. You have nothing to be concerned about relative to your plumbing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2020, 05:56 PM   #4

Soon as I can get in the crawl space and maybe get a look at the coupling they used in 1985 I'll have a general idea. I'm hoping out of maybe a thousand plumbers that come to the DIY chatroom would know. If I don't feel secure with the coupling that they used I could have it replaced by a plumber or I could do it maybe. But I doubt I should do it.

Last edited by steve3847; 01-11-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:19 PM   #5

My general question is whether the sodium hydroxide got in contact with any rubber that could corrode. About 4 to 5 sprays of Easy-Off heavy duty oven cleaner mixed with about 7 cups of water. That is half gallon of water with about 2-3 oz of Easy Off. I was cleaning a cast iron skillet that had lot of gook on it. I was reading PVC is not affected by sodium hydroxide. That's the leading ingredient of Easy-Off oven cleaner. I was hoping 2 1/2 inch PVC pipe approximately that connected to the 6 inch cast iron pipe were only in contact and not the coupling.

That's a modern-day coupling I don't know what they used back then I'll have to going to crawl space and dig a little.
Attached Thumbnails
Coupling between cast iron and PVC drainage pipe in 80's-screenshot_20200111-180412_1578784709425.png  
Old 01-11-2020, 06:29 PM   #6

Back in 1985 I was wondering if the soft parts of the coupling were made out of PVC instead of rubber. Rubber isn't resistant to highly corrosive chemicals but soft PVC that has been plasticized to make it soft is immune to corrosive chemicals. I was wondering in 1985 did they use soft PVC instead of rubber that was my question. Basically I didn't get to the water faucet until about 7 hours later. So I'm hoping that the cast iron pipe and the PVC pipe connected and it didn't allow any rubber from the coupling to come in contact with anything inside the pipe. The coupling I'm showing in this post is about what would be needed. Hoping they used something very similar in 1985. If anyone doesn't know whether it's okay I'll have to go digging in the crawl space. Not until spring though. I'll just watch it closely make sure no odors are coming from the crawl space. I guess I could put a towel under the coupling and place it there for a couple weeks and if there's no leakage I'm okay.

Try and enjoy the football games.

https://www.fernco.com/technical/mat...d-resist-chart
Attached Thumbnails
Coupling between cast iron and PVC drainage pipe in 80's-screenshot_20200111-180412_1578785511697.png  

Last edited by steve3847; 01-11-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:31 PM   #7
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve3847 View Post
Back in 1985 I was wondering if the soft parts of the coupling were made out of PVC instead of rubber. Rubber isn't resistant to highly corrosive chemicals but soft PVC that has been plasticized to make it soft is immune 2 corrosive chemicals. I was wondering in 1985 did they use soft PVC instead of rubber that was my question.
https://www.fernco.com/technical/mat...d-resist-chart

You know the chemicals and the amounts used, they know the rubber and what it can handle, call them. plumbers are not chemists.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:54 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 6,306

You will die from stress before it leaks. If you must do something, go buy a rubber coupling and soak it in Easy OFF.

Last edited by hkstroud; 01-11-2020 at 06:59 PM.
hkstroud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:00 PM   #9

I will ask plumbers locally and maybe give this post to them. Any which way I got to go into the crawl space and check if anything was affected. I'll just place a towel under the coupling. Nothing serious. Plumber would repair the coupling for about $400. Charge mostly for crawling into the crawl space. I'm sure large plumber companies have small guys who don't mind going in there. I haven't figured out how to like any comments.

I'll be okay I'm going to enjoy some football.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:48 AM   #10

I'm just hoping that the rubber part in the middle did not get corroded buy a mixture of 7 cups of water and about 2.5 to 3 oz of Easy-Off oven cleaner. It doesn't really state that the Fernco couplings are made of rubber or plasterized PVC. Hoping that in 1985 that the couplings were resistant to harsh chemicals like they are nowadays. From reading about the history of PVC pipes I think they are made of the same material in 1985 and 2020. They had PVC soft tubing back in 1920's like a garden hose used in medicine. I'll check and see what's underneath the coupling and see if it's leaking. Place a towel under it and check again in 3 or 4 months. I think a two or three inch PVC was connected to a 6 inch cast iron. There was probably a little bit of water in drainage pipe anyway. I doubt that it would ever penetrate through 3/16 inch to 1/4 of rubber. Should be easy to put another one on anyway.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-2...-215/100013986

Last edited by steve3847; 01-12-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:50 PM   #11

Plumber gets $75 to change the coupling and he would charge $300 to go in the crawl space about 15 feet probably. 💰💰💰💰

Last edited by steve3847; 01-12-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:21 PM   #12

I'll dig down there and just give it a look and see what type of coupling was used and ask the plumber what he thinks. If it doesn't end up in the crawl space with a leakage I guess it's okay. So maybe investigate about April. Everyone throughout America could have done the same thing. People probably pour bleach down their drains that could affect the rubber couplings.

Last edited by steve3847; 01-12-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:37 PM   #13
retired framer

Quote:
I'll dig down there and just give it a look and see what type of coupling was used and ask the plumber what he thinks. If it doesn't end up in the crawl space with a leakage I guess it's okay. So maybe investigate about April. Everyone throughout America could have done the same thing. People probably pour bleach down their drains that could affect the rubber couplings.
If it was a problem in 1000s of houses we would find videos with people complaining and repairing them.
If you think about a coupling the pipes fit close together with rubber around them, what ever crack there is between the pipes will be like a little trap collecting water and maybe some debris over time, you chemicals would like have run right over it with out slowing down.

If you have a donut the pipe would be center in the fitting and if some chemicals stopped there, there is a lot of rubber there so it would take a lot of chemicals to keep working it's way thru.

And fernco does say they are chemical resistant.

Last edited by Nealtw; 01-12-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Quote:
If it was a problem in 1000s of houses we would find videos with people complaining and repairing them.
If you think about a coupling the pipes fit close together with rubber around them, what ever crack there is between the pipes will be like a little trap collecting water and maybe some debris over time, you chemicals would like have run right over it with out slowing down.

If you have a donut the pipe would be center in the fitting and if some chemicals stopped there, there is a lot of rubber there so it would take a lot of chemicals to keep working it's way thru.

And fernco does say they are chemical resistant.
I hope what you're saying is true. I'll look now and then in the crawl space and if there's not a big spillage of water there I should be okay. I'm in the middle of a reverse mortgage and have access to $100,000 plus $60,000 from IRA's. Get about $500 from SSDI. I'm 64 with a diabetic condition. Slight heart problems but nothing serious but can't really be crawling in a crawl space doing a whole lot. At least I have a couple years to decide whether to stay or leave. I'm sure there's other people throughout America who have poured tons of bleach down their drainage pipes. 7 cups of water with 2 ounces of Easy Off heavy duty oven cleaner with a little amount of SOS shouldn't really affect more than 1/32 of an inch of the rubber coupling. But I have no idea actually what's under the house I'm going to look maybe about April unless I get really curious about it. House is mostly for the cat to have a place to go outside. 😸😸😸

I don't know how to put like for people's comments with smartphone. Maybe DIY chatroom does not do that anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Coupling between cast iron and PVC drainage pipe in 80's-561628_3784034890663_1347521370_n_1578932654921.jpg  
Nealtw likes this.

Last edited by steve3847; 01-13-2020 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:16 AM   #15

Everyone makes mistakes and I made the mistake not to flush extra water down the kitchen sink. But there might have been extra water in the water pipes. Maybe chemical reactions took place as the water went down about 20 feet of pipe to the coupling. If I find how the coupling is connected and where the pipe runs I'm figuring plumber won't charge me more than 500 extra to go in the crawl space and put a new coupling in. This is only maybe a $500 project at the most but to redo the cast-iron plumbing that was put in around 1958 would cost maybe $6,000 so I'm still okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement