Copper Pipe Frozen SharkBite Repair? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SeniorSitizen

Old 01-08-2018, 11:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 64

Greetings, I am looking to repair a frozen water line that busted and separated from the soldier.

Temperatures got abnormally cold in Memphis and many businesses and other residents faced similar issues.

With the Lord's help, I was able to clean up all the water. I suffered damage to my laminate flooring and dry wall under the sink.

I am poor and would appreciate honest advice. I called a plumber in order to get the pipe branded but it would have been 350.00. Which is terribly expensive!

However, the Lord bless me to find out about Sharkbite fittings and I would like to install it.

I have added some pictures of the damage.

I would like to join the two pipes so I purchased a 1/2 elbow x 1/2. I would have to cut off the coupler on the main pipe to join the two. Any advice for a newbie?
Attached Thumbnails
Copper Pipe Frozen SharkBite Repair?-img_20180106_155646_1515475093514.jpg   Copper Pipe Frozen SharkBite Repair?-img_20180106_155642_1515475115602.jpg   Copper Pipe Frozen SharkBite Repair?-1515475153111-2081700972_1515475167196.jpg   Copper Pipe Frozen SharkBite Repair?-img_20180106_155609_1515475362177.jpg   Copper Pipe Frozen SharkBite Repair?-img_20180106_155658_1515475397197.jpg  

Last edited by ljseals; 01-08-2018 at 11:23 PM.
ljseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2018, 12:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,694

Re: Copper Pipe Frozen SharkBite Repair?

It is possible to repair with a Sharkbite ell.

The best way would be to heat the ell that is there and remove it. Easily done with a torch. You would then sand all of the remaining solder on both pipes. Pipe must be sanded smooth.

If you can't heat the ell and remove it, you could cut it off. But then, because the vertical pipe is shorter, you would have to be able to pull the vertical pipe up or the horizontal pipe down to join them together. Which it looks like you could do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2018, 12:15 AM   #3

I thank the Lord for touching your heart to give honest advice. I do not have a blow torch but it seems it will be long enough if I cut it off. My question is Joe to sand of the soldier without damaging the pipe for the shark bite. I have a multiracial with scraper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2018, 07:17 AM   #4
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

shark bites work because outside diameters of tubing is supposed to consistent with diameter & roundness; they seal by utilizing an O-ring... you will need to determine and be sure that your freezing condition did not cause any bulges or splits in surrounding tubing before cutting... cutting should be done with a mini- tubing cutter to prevent burrs on the cut edge which will damage the O-ring... if cutting, you will need to make those cuts where no solder is on tubing - as sanding off solder will be a tedious job that is also not a guarantee you will still achieve a leak free seal with a shark bite at that junction.

& don't assume other riser is free of damages; check/feel for damage

is there access below the floor to inspect those sections of tubing also for damages? if so you could properly cut below, replace your entire copper concealed sections with PEX tubing and sharkbite fittings... I'd recommend replacing both hot & cold sides all the way to & also replacing the supply stop valves to the sink faucet... could use 2 PEX bend supports to change directions from vertical to horizontal without having to cut/install any elbow fittings inside wall...

also upgrade from that saddle tap valve to standard valve - as it is most likely a potential leak point in near future

mini tubing cutter is less around $10. 1 stick of 1/2" Pex will do entire job Ive described (& will roll up to fit inside car trunk)... bend supports should cost less than sharkbites... buy 2 sharkbite couplings to transition vertical, & sharkbite stop valves (for sink cut offs), a transition tee above stop valve to re-install ice maker tubing; be sure to install pipe insulation over tubing

Peace

Last edited by DR P; 01-09-2018 at 07:19 AM.
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,694

Quote:
I have a multiracial with scraper.
I don't know what a multiracial is.

Get the mini tubing cutter. It is small and will work better cutting off the ell. Get some plumbers sand cloth. It comes in a roll and is about 1" wide and is cloth backed. Tear off a strip, wrap it around the pipe, holding each end. Then sand like you are sawing with the sand cloth.
Going to take a lot of sanding to remove all the solder and make the pipe smooth.
Attached Images

Last edited by hkstroud; 01-09-2018 at 07:56 AM.
hkstroud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:55 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,394

Before doing anything measure the once frozen tubing to determine how much ( if any ) the tubing was stretched in diameter. It is possible neither new copper fittings no Sharkbites will be a solution. Hopefully the Lord will bless you and all will be well.
Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR P View Post
shark bites work because outside diameters of tubing is supposed to consistent with diameter & roundness; they seal by utilizing an O-ring... you will need to determine and be sure that your freezing condition did not cause any bulges or splits in surrounding tubing before cutting... cutting should be done with a mini- tubing cutter to prevent burrs on the cut edge which will damage the O-ring... if cutting, you will need to make those cuts where no solder is on tubing - as sanding off solder will be a tedious job that is also not a guarantee you will still achieve a leak free seal with a shark bite at that junction.

& don't assume other riser is free of damages; check/feel for damage

is there access below the floor to inspect those sections of tubing also for damages? if so you could properly cut below, replace your entire copper concealed sections with PEX tubing and sharkbite fittings... I'd recommend replacing both hot & cold sides all the way to & also replacing the supply stop valves to the sink faucet... could use 2 PEX bend supports to change directions from vertical to horizontal without having to cut/install any elbow fittings inside wall...

also upgrade from that saddle tap valve to standard valve - as it is most likely a potential leak point in near future

mini tubing cutter is less around $10. 1 stick of 1/2" Pex will do entire job Ive described (& will roll up to fit inside car trunk)... bend supports should cost less than sharkbites... buy 2 sharkbite couplings to transition vertical, & sharkbite stop valves (for sink cut offs), a transition tee above stop valve to re-install ice maker tubing; be sure to install pipe insulation over tubing

Peace
These are some excellent points I did not think about installing apex. It seems that this may be an optimal solution, do you have a picture or diagram that will represent what you are describing.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
Quote:
I have a multiracial with scraper.
I don't know what a multiracial is.

Get the mini tubing cutter. It is small and will work better cutting off the ell. Get some plumbers sand cloth. It comes in a roll and is about 1" wide and is cloth backed. Tear off a strip, wrap it around the pipe, holding each end. Then sand like you are sawing with the sand cloth.
Going to take a lot of sanding to remove all the solder and make the pipe smooth.
Got the mini tubing cutter. Sorry about the spell correct typos. Branded should be brazed and multiracial should be multifunction tool. Got one cheap at Harbor Freight.

I am going to get the plumbers sand cloth shortly and will try this method before I install apex. God bless you.
Attached Thumbnails
Copper Pipe Frozen SharkBite Repair?-1515522730591-1500628556_1515522741833.jpg  
Old 01-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Before doing anything measure the once frozen tubing to determine how much ( if any ) the tubing was stretched in diameter. It is possible neither new copper fittings no Sharkbites will be a solution. Hopefully the Lord will bless you and all will be well.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-09-2018, 10:55 PM   #10

Did not see sand cloth but wondering if this will work. Shark bite said emery should be fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Copper Pipe Frozen SharkBite Repair?-1515560039030-1141623580_1515560051478.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement