Converting Detached Garage Into Apartment - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2015, 09:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Converting detached garage into apartment

Hi,

I'm converting a detached garage into an efficiency apartment. The garage is approx. 10' from the house.

The garage is on slab, the house has crawl space. I'll be building up the bathroom floor minimally for pipes etc.. but because of ceiling height not enough to run sewage away from garage and connect to house sewage by gravity. All piping will need to be buried (it will run through entry to yard). There will be a full bath, kitchen sink, and washer/dryer in the apartment.

I need suggestions and recommendations for sewage pumps I can bury to take waste back to house so that I can connect to city sewage? There is a bathroom in the house on side nearest to garage. The city sewage runs opposite side of house.

Thanks!
Aec0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2015, 03:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,932

I'm sure your local building department and sanitary engineers will be glad to help. You also need to make sure your zoning is good for the apartment.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2015, 09:47 AM   #3

Thanks for replying. I'm trying to research before actually getting others involved. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I have a plumber coming this week, I'd like to have some knowledge before that time. I've searched the internet but havne't been able to find a job like this one to use as an example.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 127

I believe this going to be such a local issue that we probably can't offer much advice. I am pretty darn sure I could not build a bathroom in a detached garage in my town.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,910

You might not need a pump at all. Is your garage floor below the level of your city sewer line?
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:05 PM   #6

You first need to check your local zoning. Once that has been approved. You most likely will need a separate tie in to the main sewer line at the street. Most areas do not allow one to piggy back sewer connections from one building to another. For some strange reason the sewer provider enjoys the extra income this provides. You will then need to file a building plan with your local building department.

If you disregard all this your apartment may just end up condemned.

If local water service is provided you will also need to purchase another tie in from them. Seem reason the greedy no good government likes to pay it's bills.

By the way if you just hack in the entire building and the renter gets killed because of an electrical fire and you had no permits you may just have a blast hanging out in the poor house if your local prosecutor was a butt hole because it was his kid that got killed in your illegal apartment you may look at manslaughter charges.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 07-07-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:26 PM   #7

My question is about sewage pumps I can bury outside to get waste from the slab apartment to the sewage line in the crawl space house.

Let's not get overly excited about me vomiting murder. I have a water source already installed with permits by the previous owner, I have an electrician in process of getting electrical permit.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:33 PM   #8
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 18,420

It's pretty obvious you don't plan to get a permit.

Allow me to explain how that is going to work out.

You're going to do the work to make it a living space. You are then going to rent out said space.

Neighbors will notice the extra car. If it's like most areas, parking is already a problem.

If your tenant starts making noise (parties), neighbors will not be happy.

It doesn't take long for one of them to report it to building and safety.

Pretty soon you get a knock at the door. It's building and safety. They want to inspect your garage. You refuse. They go get a warrant and come back with the cops.

The rest is automatic...you have to rip it all out....and you end up paying a hefty fine.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #9
Plumber

Rewards Points: 248

Where I am at you cannot use a pump if it can gravity drain.
Also, a detached building can't tie into an existing sewer tap to the house.
The best answer you'll receive is from your plumber or your authority having jurisdiction
ben's plumbing (07-08-2015), joecaption (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 05:32 PM   #10

You need to contact your local sewer authority In my state you cannot use the same connection for separate buildings. They will have all the requirements for size of holding tank and if they will even allow it.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 07-08-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement