Convert Compression Thread To NPT - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Display Modes
Old 11-16-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
.
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 36
Default

Convert Compression Thread to NPT


Sort of a plumbing question....although it's for an air compressor.

I am replacing my air compressor pump and will need to re-plumb. The tank check valve has a 1/2" (tube) compression fitting. I want to convert this to 1/2" NPT (female NPT ideal but I can make male work too).

Is there an adapter that will convert male compression threads (at the bottom of the image below) to NPT threads?
Attached Thumbnails
Convert Compression Thread to NPT-cb18124c-e0e0-475c-ae56-1ca7483b042b_1000.jpg  

Last edited by Dusky; 11-16-2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: b
Dusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 36,826
Rewards Points: 18,794
Default

Re: Convert Compression Thread to NPT


Any Home center should have one that looks like this.
If all they have is male then just add a coupling.
http://www.homebrewing.org/12-FPT-x-...eYehoCZ5fw_wcB
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-16-2016, 08:36 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 12,307
Rewards Points: 5,614
Default

Re: Convert Compression Thread to NPT


Maybe this would work for you. Your check valve /w compression then copper to a compression/pipe adapter, then pipe to where ever you need it.
Attached Images
 
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #4
.
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 36
Default

Re: Convert Compression Thread to NPT


I need sort of the reverse of that adapter. Where the female pipe threads are in that adapter, I need those to mate with compression threads and have the "top" be pipe threads (NPT) so I can plumb to the pump using standard pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Any Home center should have one that looks like this.
If all they have is male then just add a coupling.
http://www.homebrewing.org/12-FPT-x-...eYehoCZ5fw_wcB
Dusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #5
.
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 36
Default

Re: Convert Compression Thread to NPT


Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Maybe this would work for you. Your check valve /w compression then copper to a compression/pipe adapter, then pipe to where ever you need it.
I think that would do it! Where can I buy those?
Dusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 682
Rewards Points: 1,036
Default

Re: Convert Compression Thread to NPT


You really need to plumb the compressor pump to the check valve with tubing and not solid with threaded pipe. This is often done using copper tubing for better heat transfer to help cool the compressed air but more importantly to offer some vibration dampening. The tubing is normally routed so it has a loop or a few oversized bends to allow some movement. Plumbed solid with threaded pipe the vibrations will likely crack the pipe at the threads or worse yet the compressor itself. You can easily find the correct compression fitting to either male or female pipe thread to screw into the compressor pump, then you will be able to connect the compression fitting in the pump to the compression fitting on the tank check valve with tubing.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:46 PM   #7
.
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 36
Default

Re: Convert Compression Thread to NPT


Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrfixit View Post
You really need to plumb the compressor pump to the check valve with tubing and not solid with threaded pipe. This is often done using copper tubing for better heat transfer to help cool the compressed air but more importantly to offer some vibration dampening. The tubing is normally routed so it has a loop or a few oversized bends to allow some movement. Plumbed solid with threaded pipe the vibrations will likely crack the pipe at the threads or worse yet the compressor itself. You can easily find the correct compression fitting to either male or female pipe thread to screw into the compressor pump, then you will be able to connect the compression fitting in the pump to the compression fitting on the tank check valve with tubing.
I'll be using something similar to this so it's not rigid although it is NPT pipe thread

https://www.grainger.com/product/HOS...tal-Hose-2ZV57

Last edited by Dusky; 11-16-2016 at 08:47 PM. Reason: link
Dusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #8
.
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 36
Default

Re: Convert Compression Thread to NPT


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Any Home center should have one that looks like this.
If all they have is male then just add a coupling.
http://www.homebrewing.org/12-FPT-x-...eYehoCZ5fw_wcB
Thanks, Joe. I was thinking a straight adapter without using any tubing...but it looks like that might not be available. Your suggestion should work.
Dusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intermittant total compression loss? johnd393 Automotive Repairs 7 07-26-2014 11:08 AM
Metric compression fittings ??? rutalkn Plumbing 3 11-27-2007 10:43 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts