Convert Alcove Tub To Freestanding - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
ARB

Rewards Points: 111

Convert Alcove Tub to Freestanding

Hi all,

I just received orders from my wife to convert our existing alcove Jacuzzi tub (pics below) into a freestanding tub, and Iím trying to get a handle on everything I need to consider, and the best way to attack the project.

I suspect the most challenging aspects of this is reconfiguring the water supply and drainage (which I will probably have a professional plumber handle), but is this project definitely do-able? Are there any potential complications that I should be aware of, or are there certain styles of tubs (or design features) that lend themselves to this situation? (For example, would it be better if the drain is on the end, closer to the existing drain line, than if it were in the center, or does it not really make a big difference?)

BTW, sheís looking at tubs that sit on the floor, as opposed to clawfoot.

Thank you in advance for any advice or insight that you might have on this project!
ARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2016, 07:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,912

Re: Convert Alcove Tub to Freestanding

I don't even know what you are talking about? Do mean that you want to get rid of the existing tub.....and buy another one that sits in that space....but allows you to walk all the way around it? Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016, 11:40 AM   #3
ARB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront02769 View Post
I don't even know what you are talking about? Do mean that you want to get rid of the existing tub.....and buy another one that sits in that space....but allows you to walk all the way around it? Ron
Ron, that's exactly correct--sorry I wasn't clear. The plan is to remove the existing tub and replace it with a free-standing one that sits in the same space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
ARB

Crickets...

I'm guessing my original question was too broad... Let me ask a more specific question. Again, the idea here is to replace an alcove tub with a free-standing tub, and I'm trying to get a sense of what I'm up against...

Is this a crazy idea? Are there any major complications I am likely to run into?

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Allen

Last edited by ARB; 08-28-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement