Connecting Shop Sewer To House Septic (SW Wa) - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes

Old 11-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Connecting shop sewer to house septic (SW Wa)

Hello DIY'ers
Thanks for allowing me to join!!
I am building a shop/living quarters on in laws property. The county doesn't need to know about the living quarters aspect of the shop. once final is complete on shop, it will be converted. I am wanting to run and connect sewer line to existing house septic. the shop will be about 200 ft from septic tank with the ground sloping up with about 2 ft rise. What would you recommend to make this happen? This is in southwest washington. Yes, I will talk it over with the county, but I am wondering what others have done. Thanks to all for the input
windygorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,238

Re: Connecting shop sewer to house septic (SW Wa)

Quote:
the shop will be about 200 ft from septic tank with the ground sloping up with about 2 ft rise.
Ayuh,.... Yer gonna need a grinder pump, 'n tank, as sh!t won't flow Uphill,....
joecaption and windygorge like this.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
windygorge (11-26-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2017, 03:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,354

If you haven't considered the extra load on the present tank / system this may be a good time to consider that. Foresight and a new independent system for the shop may be better than hindsight if the present system becomes over loaded.

https://www.inspectapedia.com/septic...ize_Tables.php
ron45 and windygorge like this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
windygorge (11-26-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by windygorge View Post
Hello DIY'ers
Thanks for allowing me to join!!
I am building a shop/living quarters on in laws property. The county doesn't need to know about the living quarters aspect of the shop. once final is complete on shop, it will be converted. I am wanting to run and connect sewer line to existing house septic. the shop will be about 200 ft from septic tank with the ground sloping up with about 2 ft rise. What would you recommend to make this happen? This is in southwest washington. Yes, I will talk it over with the county, but I am wondering what others have done. Thanks to all for the input
Interesting that you plan on talking to the county but apparently don't plan on telling them about the additional living space. Jurisdictions no doubt vary, but up here septic systems are sized based on the number of bedrooms. A friend had a 'granny flat' installed on his property - essentially a mobile home - for his elderly parents. They approved his tank capacity but he had to enlarge his tile bed.

Not even considering the bad grade noted by Bondo, 200' seems like a very long run for sewage (liquids and solids), but I'm not a plumber.

Bydand
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #5

just found out the neighbors have already done what we are wanting to do. getting with them to discuss how they approached the county for permits.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
Interesting that you plan on talking to the county but apparently don't plan on telling them about the additional living space. Jurisdictions no doubt vary, but up here septic systems are sized based on the number of bedrooms. A friend had a 'granny flat' installed on his property - essentially a mobile home - for his elderly parents. They approved his tank capacity but he had to enlarge his tile bed.

Not even considering the bad grade noted by Bondo, 200' seems like a very long run for sewage (liquids and solids), but I'm not a plumber.
the property is not allowed an accessory dwelling with living quarters. thats what i was not going to tell the county. the existing house has a 4 bedroom septic and the house is only 3 bedroom with two elderly people occupying the house. we are well within septic load issues.
i was thinking it would need a pump for sure with the uphill.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:59 PM   #7
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,040

You may very well be within the septic loading issues. The county may raise an eyebrow when you try convince them that the septic connection is just for a shop (apparently with a store room above it). To my mind there are many other issues involved with the plan but they would be off topic and possibly considered judgemental.

Bydand
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:04 PM   #8

the neighbors seemed to convince them. with washing machines and full bathroom.
what are your other issues?
Old 11-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 6,116

System failure.
Complaints.
Land use office.....
EPA being involved....
ron45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:56 PM   #10

as i said before. the neighbors were able to convince the county they needed a full bathroom and washing machines in their shop. i will do the same all within the parameters of regulation.
Please let me know if this is one of those forums full of D Bags who would rather troll with a negative post than simply add helpful information. I will happily remove myself if it is.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:23 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,932

You may have zoning issues. You also will have septic issues. But not to worry when your local government figures it all out later perhaps they will just condemn the property.
ron45 likes this.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:24 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,932

Quote:
Originally Posted by windygorge View Post
as i said before. the neighbors were able to convince the county they needed a full bathroom and washing machines in their shop. i will do the same all within the parameters of regulation.
Please let me know if this is one of those forums full of D Bags who would rather troll with a negative post than simply add helpful information. I will happily remove myself if it is.
Your the only dirt bag dude. I prefer helping non dirt bages that prefer doing things correctly.
47_47 and ron45 like this.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:29 PM   #13

what isnt correct? i already said i was going to get permits.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:00 AM   #14
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,528

You are getting permits under false pretenses and with false information. How can we be dirt bags if we suggest that you do it right. Circumventing things is not the way we do things. As others have said, the grinder and pump may cost more than setting your own septic tank and field for the building, and it will be code compliant.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:55 AM   #15
Plumber

Rewards Points: 248

Washington is a UPC state. Your plumbing dept. will need to do a under slab rough in inspection. Then a standard top out inspection and a final trim inspection.

The health dept will be involved for your septic sizing. The new sewer/pump system will be approved by the plumbing AHJ.

You mentioned in the OP that the county doesn't need to know certain aspects of the intended building use, yet the plumbing needs to go in the slab. How will you convince the county bldg inspector that the kitchen, laundry and bathroom and sewer sump are needed for a simple shop?
Advertisement