Connecting To New NG Service - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2015, 06:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 129

Connecting to new NG service

Hello pros,

Some quick questions hopefully. I am getting an upgraded NG service run to my house for higher capacity due to BTU demand.

The PSEG guy said that I should run 2" black pipe out the wall for the meter to connect to. He said, in case you hook up additional appliances, you ,might as well do 2" as the line we are running to the meter is going to be 2".

I've consulted the NG gas chart, and 2" trunk at first glance seems pretty big to me. If the outlet directly off the meter is smaller than 2", will I experience pressure drop? Is it possible to have a main trunk that is too large? Or is this acceptable?

Also, one last question. Is there a standard distance that the black pipe must extend out from the exterior foundation wall?

Would greatly appreciate your response as I want to tackle this job today.

Thank you.
AdamBNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 781

I put a 1 1/2" line in a house that had 2 furnaces, 2 tank less water heaters, 2 laundry rooms, 6 gas fireplaces, 1 industrial size kitchen, 2 gas fired garage heaters and a boiler for in ground pool. I believe the total square ft. of the house was just about 7,000. But like the guy said better safe than sorry if you can fit the 2" go for it.

I am not sure what you mean by extend past foundation wall. We stub out of house and connect to gas meter that is installed by utility.
ct18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2015, 08:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 129

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm in a low pressure area, so I'm wondering if that might have something to do with the piping size.

Basically the gas supplier wants to see the stub out of the pipe running outside before they even run the new meter. The new plumbing must also pass pressure testing inspection before they even attempt to run the new service. So I'm wondering how far I should have the 2" pipe extend out from the exterior wall? 6 inches? Less? Should just threads be showing? Not sure the distance they would be looking for. Is there a standard?
AdamBNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2015, 08:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 781

The piece we would stub out would be just to hook up the test rig with pressure gauge. Then once we got the green sticker we would remove and cut to length to make connections to the meter. It can be any length 6" or a 1'-0".
ct18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement