Connecting A Dishwasher To Disposer - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 3,024

Connecting a dishwasher to disposer

Existing disposer Badger 5.

Adding a new dishwasher. So I need to punch that hole out on the disposer in order to connect to discharge hose.

Is it OK to use a screwdriver and hammer to knock that hole out in place, or will doing so break seal to the kitchen sink and I better take the disposer down to do it. How solid is that circle knock out tab?
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,432

Imo, it's best to remove the disposal. They have a quick disconnect so really no biggy. Easier to work on, etc.

The tab is not that hard to knock out and tab is easily removed with disposal out. Many ways you can do this. As you mentioned, flat tip screwdriver and hammer. Just make sure you remove the tab, if left in, it may cause a jam. Just a suggestion.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2015, 08:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,810

I am getting ready to install a new sink and Waste King disposal myself. The instructions say do not used a screwdriver. It says to use a hammer and bang it in a wooden dowel. And if you can't retrieve the wood dowel, no problemo! Just leave it in there and let the disposer grind it up (It'll take several days of normal use.)
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #4
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Rewards Points: 262

I find a hammer and a 1/4" or 3/8" nut driver work pretty damn well.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDC For This Useful Post:
Fix'n it (07-27-2015), SHR Plumber (07-26-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,416

I would do my best not to let either the dowel or the seal get stuck inside the disposer. If either or both get pushed in too far, fish it (them) out via the main drain opening.
Advertisement