Condo Drain In Upper Unit Caused Drain In Lower Unit To Leak? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Condo drain in upper unit caused drain in lower unit to leak?

I had a clogged kitchen sink drain in my condo unit on the fifth floor. I believe it was from some potting soil I washed down the drain as I had planted some potted plants in the sink a couple months back. Maybe a liter of soil, no more than two. I washed it down with plenty of water. On June 20th I noticed my kitchen sink wouldn't drain. All other drains were fine, bathtub, 2 toilets, two bathroom sinks, and the laundry drained fine. I plunged the kitchen sink and put chemicals down it. No help.

I went and bought a 12 foot drain auger, just a cheapy hand crank. I got through some black stuff 3 feet in. Assumed it was the potting soil. Tried the drain, wouldn't drain water. So I tried again and went all the way with the auger. Pulled it out, no signs of any debris on the auger end. But drain wouldn't drain water. I contacted the condo management company. They refereed me to an auger drain company they had used before. He came 3 days later as I didn't want to pay after hours rate and wasn't in a crisis. He spent three hours trying to clean it with his augers. He tried a 25 foot one and a fifty foot one. He believed the auger was hitting the T in the drain where down was the main sewer drop for my unit and the ones below me. He believed it was hitting the clog and going up instead of digging down into the clog.

He suggested getting someone more professional. I contacted a couple well named ones and they wanted hundreds of dollars. I had recently been layed off from my job and was working minimum wage now so was wanting to save money. So I thought I would delay a few days until I could be home and could get someone over on normal work hours.

Then 2 days ago I get an email from the condo management that on June 17th, the vacant unit below me had drain issues and had water leak into the unit from these drain issues. They said it was clogged. I replied, yes my drain was still plugged. They wanted me to take off time from work to deal with it, they would arrange for a different drain cleaning company to come. I said I couldn't take time off the next day. They said they would have them go into the unit below me, the one below me and clean the drain. The next day I get an email, asking me to check my drain. Mine was still plugged, plugged solid as no water would drain. All the other times it was a slow drain, it would take a few hours but it would drain. Now it never moved overnight.

They arranged to have the drain cleaning company come into my unit yesterday and clean it while I was at work. I get home and they slipped a letter under my door saying I was the cause of the water leakage in the unit below me. They had found sand in the drains and I was liable for cleanup and damages.

Of course I was furious, and I don't have insurance, which is my gamble, and definitely understand I lost that. I don't understand how I could have caused water to come up there drains. The place was vacant, so why is water running? And why did they have a flood on the 17th when I didn't notice until 3 or four days later mine was clogged. And why were all my other drains fine and draining water and their's were not?
dangre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,300

Re: Condo drain in upper unit caused drain in lower unit to leak?

It is more than likely your fault. A clogged drain will flood out of lower drains first. As the water becomes impounded, more debri will accumulate higher upstream and those drains will become successively more susceptible to flooding.

Your other drains could be on anothe branch.
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2016, 04:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,862

Not from a couple months back secure an attorney. I bet they have a broken drain line under ground. Without a camera easily refuted.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Not from a couple months back secure an attorney. I bet they have a broken drain line under ground.
What makes you say that? And where did your time frame come from?
Old 07-01-2016, 06:01 PM   #5

I had planted some potted plants in the sink a couple months back.

Problem did not start until On June 20th

Doubtful it was him. He would have blocked the drain within a day or two.

Also file a lawsuit against the plumber's company making the accusation. That way you might get a pro bono attorney. They love the smell of money.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 07-01-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 18,794

Rule #1 If you have not eaten it do not flush it down a drain.
Just makes no since to dump soil down a drain!
If I had my way I'd even ban garbage disposals.
Makes 0 since to me to grind up and flush down the drain stuff that could be composted or put in the trash.
100% of the time it's going to cause clogs i the drain lines.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:37 PM   #7

Quote:

Also file a lawsuit against the plumber's company making the accusation. That way you might get a pro bono attorney. They love the smell of money.
Sue them for what? Saying something? There are no damages, hence nothing to collect yet.

A pro bono attorney? What for?

You give awful plumbing advice and worse legal advice
Old 07-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #8

The damages are the bills sent to him because some moron of a plumber has some how magically determined that sand not normally used in potting soil came from his unit. When one is making accusations like that one better be able to darn well prove it. So yes I would seek the advice of an attorney and sue the plumbing company for slander.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
Sue them for what? Saying something? There are no damages, hence nothing to collect yet.

A pro bono attorney? What for?

You give awful plumbing advice and worse legal advice
Your one to talk with all your stupid post of pure makeup plumbing.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #10

Quote:
So yes I would seek the advice of an attorney and sue the plumbing company for slander.
What would the damages be? You can't really sue without damages. And the proof of slander is quite rigid, the opinion of a professional service would not come near slander.

And you know how there wasn't sand in the potting soil? I could easily draw you a diagram of how the clog migrated upstreram from its initial location. There could be other causes of the clog such as food scraps or grease, or a combination combined with the potting soil.

Carry on
Old 07-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #11

Quote:
The damages are the bills sent to him because some moron of a plumber has some how magically determined that sand not normally used in potting soil came from his unit
The bills are only damage if:
1) They are paid
2) They are false
3) They were created without meeting professional standards.

Again, I could draw you a diagram of how this could happen if you are unfamiliar with plumbing and construction.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #12

Quote:
I bet they have a broken drain line under ground.
And it's only affecting parts of units on the fourth and fifth floors? Interesting concept you have there.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Your one to talk with all your stupid post of pure makeup plumbing.
Care to cite an example?
Old 07-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #14

Look's like I'm living in your head rent free. Have a great day.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:23 PM   #15

Apparently everthing you stated was baseless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement