Comression Fittings - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jmon

Old 12-19-2016, 04:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 310

comression fittings

I would like to replace a faucet for my mom's laudry tub. I need to disconnect the 1/4 inch solid copper supply lines from the shut off valves, because I need to remove the tub in order to get toteh faucet itself. The valves are standard gate valves, not quarter turns, and they are (say I have implied) plumbed to solid copper and not to the more typical braded supplies.

Therefore, if I unscrew the nut on the valve and pull the copper line out (will that be difficult because of the compression ferrel?) can I reuse the valve? How would I do that? would I just buy new ferrels? Anything else I should think about?

I know I could buy new valves and new braded supply lines, which might be nice, but in the past I have had a heck of time pulling the old valves off.
I think they sell a puller to make that easier.

My mom is out of town, I will be at her place at Christmas, so I would like to make one trip to the supply house/bib box to get what I need.

Thanks
shaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,456

Re: comression fittings

Welcome to the forum shaken.

Could you please post a couple pictures of your mom's laundry tub so we can see what you are seeing. Thank you.

Depending on what the pictures reveal, It may be easier to replace the old gate valves with new ones.There are sharkbytes fittings/shut offs to make an easy and quick fix. Just cut the pipe and push them on. Just a suggestion.
Yodaman likes this.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,476

The reason you had a heck of a time pulling old valves off is because who ever initially installed them turned the nut too far when tightening and belled the end of the tubing. When installing new ferrules on new copper, the nut is to be advanced 1 round after all slack is removed. The tubing must stay bottomed out in the fitting while the nut is being tightened.

If the previous plumber hasn't totally screwed things up, yes you can re-use the valve and complete set up you just disassembled BUT on a re-use the nut is not advanced 1 round as in the initial make up when a ferrule is new. In a re-use the nut will get real tight real quick, because the tubing has previously been swaged, and that's when you stop tightening.

If you ever remove a ferrule fitting and the ferrule can be pulled from the tubing with your fingers it was not tightened 1 round after the nut touched the ferrule and someone got lucky the house didn't flood.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,976

1/4" lines, almost never, Most are at least 3/8.
No such thing as "standard gate valves".
If it is gate or globle valves they need to be be replaced with 1/4 turn ball valves. If not there going to leak when you try to shut them off or leak at some point at the stem.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #5
Plumber

Rewards Points: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaken View Post
I would like to replace a faucet for my mom's laudry tub. I need to disconnect the 1/4 inch solid copper supply lines from the shut off valves, because I need to remove the tub in order to get toteh faucet itself.
You can removes them and the usebraided supply lines if you wish. Or new copper supplies with new ferules.
Quote:
The valves are standard gate valves, not quarter turns, and they are (say I have implied) plumbed to solid copper and not to the more typical braded supplies.

Therefore, if I unscrew the nut on the valve and pull the copper line out (will that be difficult because of the compression ferrel?) can I reuse the valve? How would I do that? would I just buy new ferrels? Anything else I should think about?
Pull the line out and if it kinks- no biggy. You should be replacing them. The valve should be fine. However, you can leave the old nut and ferrule on and just use a new stop with the existing nut in place. Most times the thread pattern are the same.

Quote:
I know I could buy new valves and new braded supply lines, which might be nice, but in the past I have had a heck of time pulling the old valves off.
I think they sell a puller to make that easier.

My mom is out of town, I will be at her place at Christmas, so I would like to make one trip to the supply house/bib box to get what I need.
Like I said, you can reuse the old nut and ferrule, just screw on the new valve body.
Good luck-
Advertisement