Compression Washer On Gate Valve - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By rjniles
  • 1 Post By joecaption
  • 1 Post By rjniles
  • 1 Post By joecaption
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 06-17-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 385
Rewards Points: 770
Default

Compression washer on gate valve


I'm referring to the fiber washer that seals at the threaded part of the valve. I had a stem leak after shutting off/on a 60 year old valve to do a faucet repair job.

The was a bit dried sediment at that point and when a tried to tighten the packing nut a bit, it moved suddenly a water came flying out. The washer used was way too big in diameter and wasn't seated in the pocket and broke as I tightened it. Luckily it was over the basement wash tubs and not much of a mess to speak of.

Even a plumber's supply doesn't carry them and nothing at Lowe's. This is for the future as I had one with the correct ID but the OD was too large so cut it down on a grinding wheel. Changed the seat seal and added packing as well.

Where do you buy the correct part??
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-17-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 11,072
Rewards Points: 796
Default

Re: Compression washer on gate valve


Replace the gate valve with a ball valve.
joecaption likes this.
__________________
My electrical answers are based on 2017 NEC, you may have local amendments.

Location: Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-17-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 385
Rewards Points: 770
Default

Re: Compression washer on gate valve


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Replace the gate valve with a ball valve.
Replacing it with another gate valve or ball valve is ridiculous. That much work for something that hasn't been used in ten years?
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 36,810
Rewards Points: 18,762
Default

Re: Compression washer on gate valve


Gate vales at some point are always going to leak or not shut completely off.
At some point your going to wish you had of taken the time to changed it.
rjniles likes this.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,653
Rewards Points: 1,852
Default

Re: Compression washer on gate valve


Gate valves are notorious for breaking and they seem to always love to do it when they are shut off then they will not open again.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 385
Rewards Points: 770
Default

Re: Compression washer on gate valve


Not one response to my question, all Off Topic! Plus likes for the OT answers.

Last edited by wptski; 06-17-2016 at 09:46 PM.
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:54 AM   #7
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 11,072
Rewards Points: 796
Default

Re: Compression washer on gate valve


You getting good advise, take it. Trying to repair a 60 year old obsolete valve makes no sense.
firehawkmph likes this.
__________________
My electrical answers are based on 2017 NEC, you may have local amendments.

Location: Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:23 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 385
Rewards Points: 770
Default

Re: Compression washer on gate valve


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
You getting good advise, take it. Trying to repair a 60 year old obsolete valve makes no sense.
Sounds like something a unscrupulous professional plumber would say that rips people off by making a small job much bigger than need be just to make more money?
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:55 AM   #9
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 11,072
Rewards Points: 796
Default

Re: Compression washer on gate valve


Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
Sounds like something a unscrupulous professional plumber would say that rips people off by making a small job much bigger than need be just to make more money?
You will do real well on this forum. People will be falling over themselves trying to help you.😱
__________________
My electrical answers are based on 2017 NEC, you may have local amendments.

Location: Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:14 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 385
Rewards Points: 770
Default

Re: Compression washer on gate valve


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
You will do real well on this forum. People will be falling over themselves trying to help you.😱
I need help like this like I need hemorrhoids!
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:27 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 36,810
Rewards Points: 18,762
Default

Re: Compression washer on gate valve


Lot's of us here and been there done that more times then we can count.
None of us are going to make a dime on any of the advice given.
Just look at the design of a gate valve on the inside.
https://www.google.com/search?q=gate...Cp7WOMJLu_M%3A
Those low areas that do the sealing when the gates closed tend to fill up with trash over the years stopping the gate from sealing.
The threads oxidize, the area that has to rotate where the gate connects to the shaft often locks up and snaps off.
The seals dry out and rot.
OK lets say you find that new seal and it stops leaking for the time being, how does that effect all the other inherent flaws with that type valve?
When I'm buying a house to live in and I see steel plumbing and or gate or globe valves I deduct the cost of replumbing off the asking price because of all the issues I've seen first hand working on houses for the past 40 something years.
firehawkmph likes this.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 385
Rewards Points: 770
Default

Re: Compression washer on gate valve


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Lot's of us here and been there done that more times then we can count.
None of us are going to make a dime on any of the advice given.
Just look at the design of a gate valve on the inside.
https://www.google.com/search?q=gate...Cp7WOMJLu_M%3A
Those low areas that do the sealing when the gates closed tend to fill up with trash over the years stopping the gate from sealing.
The threads oxidize, the area that has to rotate where the gate connects to the shaft often locks up and snaps off.
The seals dry out and rot.
OK lets say you find that new seal and it stops leaking for the time being, how does that effect all the other inherent flaws with that type valve?
When I'm buying a house to live in and I see steel plumbing and or gate or globe valves I deduct the cost of replumbing off the asking price because of all the issues I've seen first hand working on houses for the past 40 something years.
I didn't ask for your advice, I asked where to purchase the proper washer.

This leak "only" occurred because I tried to tighten the packing nut. You've never tried to tighten a packing nut to stop a leak? You just replace the whole valve for a simple leak??

Your linked picture isn't for my particular valve. You can purchase the sealing washers in various sizes and packing as well but you opt to change the whole valve, every time? I'd send you packing!
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #13
Plumber
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 11,380
Rewards Points: 162
Default

Re: Compression washer on gate valve


We can't locate the exact repair part for you since you didn't say what type of valve it is or offer up a picture. You mentioned a stem nut- buy some graphite or teflon rope. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-3-3...0793/203193511
It's very unlikely you'll find the part you need to replace the original. Ace hardware is where I'd look though if you want to continue the search.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
Thurman (06-18-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 385
Rewards Points: 770
Default

Re: Compression washer on gate valve


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
We can't locate the exact repair part for you since you didn't say what type of valve it is or offer up a picture. You mentioned a stem nut- buy some graphite or teflon rope. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-3-3...0793/203193511
It's very unlikely you'll find the part you need to replace the original. Ace hardware is where I'd look though if you want to continue the search.
Thanks! I have two cigar boxes full of odds and ends. I had some graphite packing. To make a correction, it's a old globe valve which uses the flat type stem washer to seal.

I didn't mention that I already went to ACE hardware with a fiber washer that was too small of an ID to go over the thread but fit the pocket easily. I bought a couple that were 1/16" over the ID/OD of my sample. That's the closest I could find.

Here's a picture of it. Don't think a BV would work here with the old 12"x 12" ceiling tile. There's a T fitting on the other side of that trim piece. Yep that should be a cooper clamp too.

Compression washer on gate valve-leaking-valve.jpg
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1" NPT plastic male into brass gate valve leak.. Eddie13 Plumbing 12 05-08-2015 03:19 PM
Brand new compression valve leaking EricBNeverScare Plumbing 6 08-14-2013 07:38 PM
Toilet water supply valve compression ring corroded - how to unscrew the nut now? Jenju Plumbing 29 02-19-2013 08:50 PM
New Compression Shut Off Valve for Toilet Leaking C_J_GO Plumbing 6 10-22-2009 03:30 PM
Ball vs. Gate Valve BigJimmy Plumbing 10 06-02-2007 06:49 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts