Compression Fitting Won't Fit On Evaporative Cooler Supply Line - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2015, 11:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Compression fitting won't fit on evaporative cooler supply line

There's a section of my supply line to my swamp cooler (1/4" copper) on the roof that had a small crack in it. So, I figured I'd just cut out that small piece and use a compression union fitting to connect it back together. I got the compression fitting from HD, in the section with all the swamp coolers and cut my line. However, the compression sleeve is too small to fit the copper tubing, and so is the threaded part of the fitting that the copper line is supposed to go into. It's not just a tight fit, either - there is no way it's going to go on.

Am I doing something stupid here, or is there something I'm not getting? I've used compression fittings before (on bigger pipe), so I know how they're supposed to work. I cut the tubing with a hacksaw and then cleaned up the ends, so I don't think I deformed the tubing significantly.

Thanks for any ideas.
jorgenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 12:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,378

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgenman View Post
There's a section of my supply line to my swamp cooler (1/4" copper) on the roof that had a small crack in it. So, I figured I'd just cut out that small piece and use a compression union fitting to connect it back together. I got the compression fitting from HD, in the section with all the swamp coolers and cut my line. However, the compression sleeve is too small to fit the copper tubing, and so is the threaded part of the fitting that the copper line is supposed to go into. It's not just a tight fit, either - there is no way it's going to go on.

Am I doing something stupid here, or is there something I'm not getting? I've used compression fittings before (on bigger pipe), so I know how they're supposed to work. I cut the tubing with a hacksaw and then cleaned up the ends, so I don't think I deformed the tubing significantly.

Thanks for any ideas.
Water remained in the tubing, froze and increased the diameter, hence the crack. Replace the tubing.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 777

Some refrigeration piping is different than plumbing piping/tubing.
ct18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 08:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Water remained in the tubing, froze and increased the diameter, hence the crack. Replace the tubing.
Yeah, it just turned out that a bigger section expanded than I realized. I just replaced that whole section, and everything's good! Thanks for the input.
jorgenman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jorgenman For This Useful Post:
SeniorSitizen (06-02-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement