Clogged Toilet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree14Likes

Old 10-11-2018, 10:09 PM   #1
Endless Projects

Rewards Points: 1,184

clogged toilet

The toilet in our only full bath in the home was clogging often then stopped flushing because of a clog completely. Using a toilet cheap toilet auger I got it cleared but only enough to get water to flush through slowly but not enough to use the toilet.

I have tried the auger a few more times but get not much more for water flow through the toilet. I have Drano Max Build Up arriving tomorrow which is supposed to work on toilets. I was considering adding 4 oz of the drano a day with warm water and using the auger to try to get this thing cleared out.

Any other suggestions?
Photobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 10:25 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 2,548

Re: clogged toilet

Septic tank?

If so, when was it last pumped out?

A snake with camera will show you exactly what and approximately where the clog is.

A rental place should have one, or hire a plumber to run a camera snake in there to know, then plumber can remove the clog.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 10:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,026

DO NOT POUR CAUSTIC CHEMICALS DOWN THE TOILET. Caps intentional.

We have a situation occur about every other year in our units where someone flushes something which will not dissolve or go down the drain like a spoon or action figure. We have to pull the stool and remove the offending object from the bottom, as it will be stuck in the trap. If you pull the stool and nothing is in the trap, snake the drain from that point without the stool and trap impeding you.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 11:37 PM   #4
Endless Projects

Rewards Points: 1,184

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Septic tank?

ED
Not a septic tank, city plumbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
DO NOT POUR CAUSTIC CHEMICALS DOWN THE TOILET. Caps intentional.

We have a situation occur about every other year in our units where someone flushes something which will not dissolve or go down the drain like a spoon or action figure. We have to pull the stool and remove the offending object from the bottom, as it will be stuck in the trap. If you pull the stool and nothing is in the trap, snake the drain from that point without the stool and trap impeding you.
This Drano product is listed as toilet safe.

https://www.drano.com/en-us/products...ild-up-remover

I will consider removing the toilet and snaking the pipe directly but.... i really don't want to go there. This is an all adult household I don't think there is an action figure in the toilet unless our dog put it there.
de-nagorg likes this.
Photobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,026

The chemical may be toilet safe but it's not safe to the next person who works on this and doesn't know the water has been made dangerous.

Yeah, I figured there wasn't an action figure in there, that was just an example. It was adults that put the utility knife and the spoon down there, though, in our units.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:07 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 574

I had the same issue on a toilet. But my auger was not a cheap one being used, it was a Ridgid unit. Frustrated with my failures to unclog the toilet I removed the toilet and found my auger was pushing through a plastic lid from a makeup jar wedged across the trap opening in the toilet. The auger head was leaving just a large enough hole in the plastic lid for water to drain through, but not anything larger.
Dave Sal likes this.
Disclaimer: Any of my replies, advice, product recommendations, or projects that I have done that I post on this forum, are just for informational purposes only. Any reader choosing to use my postings, advice, product recommendations, or choose to duplicate any of my projects for their own use...are doing so at their own risk.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:29 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,466

I've sometimes wondered what a worldly collection of non organic crap removed from plugged toilets would look like on display, what the most frequent display item would be and what size the building would be needed to display it. I'm too late to start such a collection so one of you young plumbers go ahead. I had a opportunity to start with a plastic butter tub lid about 20 years ago but the thought had not occurred to me at that time so I failed at that endeavor.
Nik333 likes this.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:46 AM   #8
JUSTA MEMBER

I found a RAT TAIL comb in one once, all adults, still it got in there somehow.

I'm still advocating a video inspection with a camera snake.

ED
Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.

Last edited by de-nagorg; 10-12-2018 at 05:59 AM. Reason: spelin erer
Old 10-12-2018, 05:55 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 574

I wonder if anyone reading has ever bought and used one of these. They look handy as a shirt pocket if they work.
https://www.amazon.com/Eastvita-Cabl...mera+endoscope
Disclaimer: Any of my replies, advice, product recommendations, or projects that I have done that I post on this forum, are just for informational purposes only. Any reader choosing to use my postings, advice, product recommendations, or choose to duplicate any of my projects for their own use...are doing so at their own risk.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:02 AM   #10
JUSTA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
I wonder if anyone reading has ever bought and used one of these. They look handy as a shirt pocket if they work.
Yes, there was a poster last year that did just that, and reported success with finding their problem.

ED
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
Gregsoldtruck79 (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 06:25 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
I have one and it works great. I found a plumbing leak from a diverter connection in a shower a couple of weeks ago, price was great too at 20 bucks!
de-nagorg likes this.
christoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:04 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 845

Anyone remember a "This Old House" episode where they had a toilet that kept clogging? They eventually found it was a metal bracelet just the right size to wedge in the trap. It would rotate out of the way when the snake went through but then cause a clog the next day.
Nealtw likes this.
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

I might have a similar problem. For about a year the 2nd floor toilet will sometimes flush but sometimes will only flush on the second flush. I suppose there could be something in there. I live by myself and haven't dropped anything down there that I'm aware of but I do have grandkids who visit once in a while. I'd be willing to try the scope -- do I have to drain all of the water out before I use it. I also bought a toilet auger I can try (it's not a real expensive one). I also thought that maybe I need a new toilet. Does it sound more like a clog or needing a new toilet?
THanks,
Debbie
dkcoop03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #14
JUSTA MEMBER

Deb: Sounds like usual non-flushable object got in there to me.

Yes the scope is water resistant, and will work in a wet environment, short time, not meant to be permanent.

It attaches to a smart phone, if I understand which one you are suggesting.

There are expensive plumbers tools made for this ( thousands of $), but one of those endo-scopes are in the tens of dollars.

And looking to see what you are after is much better than poking at it without knowing what you are looking for.

Good luck, and keep us informed as to what you find, We are collecting stories for another time.

ED
Old 12-10-2018, 10:59 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,012

Our house, built in 2004-2005, we bought in Aug 2008 and about 7 yrs later in 2015, the master woman's sink was backing up when the shower above was being used. I bought a hand augur and it went in about 15-18 ft, worked for about 6-8 months, then it happened again. Water was draining, just slow -Augured it again, another 5-8 months then I called in a plumber w a motorized augur and he went in about 20-25... that was 2016 and it has never clogged since.

Moral of story, sometimes it's a DIY and sometimes to do it right you need the proper tools and proper personnel to fix it long term.
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement