Clogged Pipe But Unsure Where To Snake From - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2015, 03:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

clogged pipe but unsure where to snake from

Have near total blockage on drain coming from bathroom but unsure where it is and trying to find best place to insert a snake.

Symptoms: shower drain backs up after a few minutes of running water. Turning water on in the bathroom sink causes water to flow through crossbar and up into bathtub. Flushing toilet also causes water to flow up into bathtub.

Steps taken already: tried inserting a plastic zip line a few feet long down the shower drain but no hair or blockages encountered. Tried baking soda and vinegar but nothing and have poured 2 gallons of Drano and still nothing.

The shower drain is original from the early 50's I think. Has old brass drain that I've not been able to unscrew, afraid of over-torqueing and breaking the seat.

The toilet and bathroom sink are both new, installed just a couple months ago by my cousin. Was going to call him back for help but trying to man up and fix this myself.

Rest of the house plumbing is fine, the kitchen and other bathroom is no problem. We had the sewer drain from the front of the house out to the curb replaced a few years ago so pretty confident it's the drain line from master bath.

I was thinking to remove the toilet and snake down that line. Does that make sense?
seann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #2

Yup pull the water closet and rod the drain from there
gassyplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Thank you!
seann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #4

No worries. I'm just going to someone's house to do the same right now
gassyplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,942

Be careful with all that acid you dumped in that drain.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
Homerepairguy (01-25-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #6
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,012

couple things single story? if yes locate the vent above that bathroom. what are you going to use to rod the line ? if possible clear via a vent from the roof have standing water in the tub or shower,have someone in the bathroom watching the tub / shower as soon as water starts to go down have them start running water and flushing the toilet repeatedly you wanna make sure what ever you just broke up gets washed away. we never pull toilets to clear clogs unless no other option is available. as a precaution flush all the toilets in the house several times after its all said and done. if you poured acid down that line be careful wear eye protection and heavy rubber gloves.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:49 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by seann View Post
The shower drain is original from the early 50's I think.
... snip ...
I was thinking to remove the toilet and snake down that line. Does that make sense?
Just to give you another thing to look for:

Our house is on a concrete slab but the procedure could work for you even if you don't have a concrete slab.

Our back-to-back bathrooms are about midway on the left side of the house. There are a sink, toilet and bathtub in each bathroom. The common drain from both bathrooms goes out to the side of the house and then the line runs along the side of the house toward the front and then it goes to the city sewer under the street.

By digging the ground where the common drain for both bathrooms exit the side of the house, I found a cleanout. Removing the screwed on cap for that cleanout, there is a straight shot down the sewer line toward the front of the house.

With luck, there may be a similar cleanout for your your bathroom's line.
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:23 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 16

Your best bet is to snake from the roof where the restroom vents you just need a long enough snake. Since you say the restroom is the only trouble area a 30ft snake should work you can buy one for about 25-30 bucks and you can snake without taking out toilet with toilet auger
jorge5421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:06 AM   #9
Plumber

Rewards Points: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
couple things single story? if yes locate the vent above that bathroom. what are you going to use to rod the line ? if possible clear via a vent from the roof have standing water in the tub or shower,have someone in the bathroom watching the tub / shower as soon as water starts to go down have them start running water and flushing the toilet repeatedly you wanna make sure what ever you just broke up gets washed away. we never pull toilets to clear clogs unless no other option is available. as a precaution flush all the toilets in the house several times after its all said and done. if you poured acid down that line be careful wear eye protection and heavy rubber gloves.
Around here, we never go on roofs either...... we pull the toilet. Much safer to work off the floor than a roof. But that's just my opinion
Advertisement