Clean Out Plug - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Display Modes
Old 03-27-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 692
Rewards Points: 740
Default

Clean out plug


Hello all. I have old cast iron sewer lines, and I recently had them worked on. The 3 1/2" clean out iron plug had to be forcefully twisted out due to rust. I am trying to put a new plug in there, but it is not going into the grooves. I have brushed and cleaned the grooves out with a wire brush, but still no results. I twist the cap in, but it just will not follow the screw grooves in.

I tried one of those drain plugs with a wing nut, but it only comes in 3" size. The water leaked out of it. Please tell me what to use. This job is taking way too long.
crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-27-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 53
Rewards Points: 106
Default

Re: Clean out plug


lead plug and just hammer it in and hammer it off...those threads are gone, so dont even bother trying to thread anything into them..
goobertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-02-2016, 08:18 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 692
Rewards Points: 740
Default

Re: Clean out plug


Quote:
Originally Posted by goobertime View Post
lead plug and just hammer it in and hammer it off...those threads are gone, so dont even bother trying to thread anything into them..
How would I get the plug out if I need to have it cleaned? This must be a common problem, right?
crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Greenfield Maine
Posts: 9,476
Rewards Points: 1,062
Default

Re: Clean out plug


Quote:
I tried one of those drain plugs with a wing nut, but it only comes in 3" size. The water leaked out of it.
Ayuh,.... They come in Many sizes, 'bout every 1/2",.....

Look at a plumbin' supply shop,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:45 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Central Maryland
Posts: 103
Rewards Points: 208
Default

Re: Clean out plug


Grainger has them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescere View Post
Hello all. I have old cast iron sewer lines, and I recently had them worked on. The 3 1/2" clean out iron plug had to be forcefully twisted out due to rust. I am trying to put a new plug in there, but it is not going into the grooves. I have brushed and cleaned the grooves out with a wire brush, but still no results. I twist the cap in, but it just will not follow the screw grooves in.

I tried one of those drain plugs with a wing nut, but it only comes in 3" size. The water leaked out of it. Please tell me what to use. This job is taking way too long.
partner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:56 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,661
Rewards Points: 1,868
Default

Re: Clean out plug


Usually a brass plug can be found at a local hardware store. I'm not talking home depot or lowes.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,661
Rewards Points: 1,868
Default

Re: Clean out plug


Also this will work if you messed your threads up.
http://www.supply.com/test-tite-test...-83689/p474157

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 04-02-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
SeniorSitizen (04-03-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaking main drain clean out plug. dakornblum Plumbing 2 10-26-2010 06:20 AM
20 amp plug MikeyP Electrical 6 01-03-2009 09:04 PM
New plug for toaster oven? mike720 Electrical 3 11-23-2008 07:44 PM
Avanti Electric Oven - But no Plug ? hongtea Electrical 4 03-16-2008 08:07 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts