Changing Garden Hose Bibb - Using Sharkbite - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DR P
  • 1 Post By Chris130

Old 02-26-2018, 02:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 266

Changing Garden Hose Bibb - Using Sharkbite

I have a garden hose bibb in my garage that is leaking. It's old, and I think it's time for it to be replaced. I've never changed one before, and I'm not sure of the best way to do it. The water line comes into my laundry room, and it goes through the wall, into the garage. There is paint on the copper pipe, but it appears that there is threading visible. Would I hold the pipe steady on the laundry room side (with a wrench), and unscrew the pipe on the garage side? I don't see any soldering, but I could be missing it. I was thinking about using one of the Sharkbite hose bibbs with either a quarter turn or the other kind (not sure what it's called):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...22LF/301990849

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...-301990838-_-N

Would that work? Is there something better that I should use? I appreciate any input. I've attached 2 pictures below. The one is of the pipe in my laundry room, and the other is the garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Changing Garden Hose Bibb - Using Sharkbite-img_0182.jpg   Changing Garden Hose Bibb - Using Sharkbite-img_0183.jpg  
chris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 620

Re: Changing Garden Hose Bibb - Using Sharkbite

If it is leaking from spout or the handle? Either way, you can get a repair kit for a few bucks and fix the leak without any major headaches. Basically a kit with assorted washers.
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

I used a sharkbite on a hose bib & a ball valve once. It worked with a ball valve but the coupling will spin as you open & close the valve. Keep that in mind.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #4
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

that is a frostproof faucet... there are different lengths
it may just need the washer replaced inside...

Peace
Oso954 likes this.
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:21 PM   #5
FIDO...

Rewards Points: 323

A general caution about SharkBite stuff...

I'm a big fan of SharkBite (price aside!) - it's ridiculously easy to use, and I've had very good experiences with 'em in my own house. However...

I will only use them on new pipes (or existing pipes that are in good-as-new condition) ... I would not trust them on any existing pipes that have any sort of worn/used surfaces, such as paint, dings, scratches, nicks, etc. Nor would I use them on any pipes that may potentially not be perfectly round anymore.

The SharkBite depend on a good rubber o-ring seal on a clean/smooth/round pipe surface, so if the pipe has any conditions that may compromise that seal, then it's just a matter of time before the o-ring leaks prematurely - that may be immediately, or it may be a while, but premature failure is inevitable.

The SharkBite o-rings are good, but they can't work miracles on old/worn pipes.
macnetism likes this.
Chris130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement