Changed A.S. Toilet Flush Valve Seal Seat Disc, Still Leaking, Need Advice - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
Rav

Rewards Points: 816

Changed A.S. toilet flush valve seal seat disc, still leaking, need advice

Our American Standard toilet was leaking from the flush valve seal seat disc, so I made sure the lip of the flush valve body was clean and had no nicks, and I replaced the actuator disc with a new one from Ace (Ace item no. 4167946). But it's still leaking from under the disc. I know that's where it's leaking from because while I looked down the overflow tube and saw a trickle of water flowing, when I pressed down a little on the top of the flush valve, which caused the disc to squish down just a little more, the trickle stopped. I don't know why it won't seal by itself. Before I end up having to remove the tank and replace the flush valve body, does anyone have any suggestions for what to try? Any sort of adhesive sealing gasket that could be attached to the flush valve body lip to make a better seal? Thanks. See attached pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Changed A.S. toilet flush valve seal seat disc, still leaking, need advice-img_4090.jpg   Changed A.S. toilet flush valve seal seat disc, still leaking, need advice-img_4092.jpg  
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,009

Re: Changed A.S. toilet flush valve seal seat disc, still leaking, need advice

You might try adding some weight to the unit. Like a couple of small wheel weights.

Personally I was never impressed with the product and never regretted replacing it it with a flapper style flush valve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
Rav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
You might try adding some weight to the unit. Like a couple of small wheel weights.

Personally I was never impressed with the product and never regretted replacing it it with a flapper style flush valve.
Interesting idea. Do you think something like superglue would hold the weight onto the actuator? Also, if I want to replace it with a regular flapper, do I need to replace the valve seat (body) and overflow tube or will it work just to push a loop-type flapper down over the overflow tube and have it seal to the existing seat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,562

Ive had similar problems when a new flapper and a close inspection of the flush valve seat plus seat cleaning didn't solve the problem. That was in 2015 when I was young and didn't know much so I replaced the complete flush assembly.

Yes it corrected the problem but never again. Parts for old toilets are just too difficult to locate, for Eljer anyway ( builder's choice ), and even though a new item may say OEM part that is far from the truth in many instances.

Then I discovered rebuild kits. That changed things from a lengthy aggravation to about a 20 minute job with the same result, FIXED. My hat is off to those thoughtful people.
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Ghostmaker (10-05-2018), Rav (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
Scuba Instructor

Rewards Points: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to The Chairman

Lots of ways to fix it. I love the new Kohler valves, both for incoming and outgoing.

The Chairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav View Post
Interesting idea. Do you think something like superglue would hold the weight onto the actuator? Also, if I want to replace it with a regular flapper, do I need to replace the valve seat (body) and overflow tube or will it work just to push a loop-type flapper down over the overflow tube and have it seal to the existing seat?

I pulled the tank, replaced the entire flush assembly and installed a new flapper.

Your way the worse thing that happens is you waste a flapper.

If weights -> I would wire them in place with copper wire.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
Rav

OP here. Thanks for all the suggestions, but it turns out the problem was that the seat disc I got from Ace was too rigid. I called American Standard and they gave me their "official" part number for that part for my toilet, which they no longer stock, but I found it at a local plumbing supply company. It's significantly more flexible. I installed it and no more leaking. Again, thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement