Cast Iron Flange - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2016, 12:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Lightbulb

Cast Iron Flange

The Problem: The cast iron pipe and flange were worked on at some point resulting in the opening of the flange to be reduced and thus the toilet not sitting properly. This became more noticeable after I removed vinyl tiles from the original hex flooring as seen in the picture. I may have made things worse by picking at the inner lining in the cast iron pipe. I thought it was something left over from a previous waxring but appearently it was some sort of weld that I pulled.

Background: the house sits above ground. The restroom floor has about a three in slab of cement.

Is it possible to just cut the cast iron pipe from below and pull it out from up top?

How much will this possibly cost if I get a plumber out?
Viveroer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2016, 12:03 AM   #2

Re: Cast Iron Flange

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2016, 12:48 AM   #3

Here's the picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2016, 07:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,218

Exately. If you have access from below thats the way to do it. Replace the flange with a new one if you can.

Is it all cast iron you are dealing with??

Prices vary from location to location to have a pro do it.

Please wait for the plumbers to respond. They will know the best solution. Thanks.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
Viveroer (10-25-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 18,784

What your picking at is likely an old lead liner.
You would be far better off biting the bullet and getting rid of any and all of that old cast iron plumbing.
You should be able to rent a chain cutter at Home Depot.
It will cut the pipe cleanly and fast.
If you do buy a new flange make sure to buy the one with the metal ring, not all PVC.
Viveroer (10-25-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,684

Show picture from crawl space (under the house).
I suspect that what you have is a lead toilet bend.
Take a screwdriver when you go under the house. Attempt to tap and scratch the bend and the pipe it connects into to determine if they are the same material.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hkstroud For This Useful Post:
Viveroer (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 01:40 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses everyone!

So, I did some more digging around and found that the pipe going straight down to the basement is lead - I think. See picture.

I was able to remove the flange after hitting it a few times. What seems odd is that they did that "leading" technique on the lead pipe using what seems to be a cast iron flange. The plumber thinks that the lead pipe was later inserted into the cast iron, but I cant see any remnants of cast iron around the lead pipe.

I had a plumber come out and he recommended that I chop off the lead pipe at the 90 degree and run that plastic pipe straight up using a coupling of sorts. It would cost something like 500 to 600 hundred! Luckily the guy came back after hours and gave me some tips on how to do it myself and I slipped him $40 for the advice.

I don't want to mess around below the house, at least not now. I know that at some point within the next three years I am going to have to redo the entire restroom. So, I'm looking for a solid fix that's not to cheap.

Here's my idea: Purchase a deep brass closet flange and solder the lead pipe. The good thing is that the flooring seems to appear solid, and it looks like I can secure the flange to the existing cement floor all the way to the wood planks down below.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:31 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 55

I'd try this if it were me>>>
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...0o0&ajaxhist=0

See if this will tighten into your lead closet bend. Sweating a brass flange to that lead bend would be tricky for a pro let alone an amateur. Put some floor leveling compound between the tile and the OD of that lead bend to fill that gap (where the rust and crust is). Install the PVC flange with the extension and rubber ring into the bend and draw up the three screws. Just might work.
LeakyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 6,684

Recommend that you view the videos below.

While the first one calls it welding it is really soldering in a new brass flange. Although the guy nearly set the house on fire he seems to know what he is doing. I think you will see that it is not the easiest thing to do. Look at the bead after he is finished. It is not the best. This is not the easiest thing to do because of the characteristics of brass and the size of the solder joint.

In the second video the guy is a little tedious, but I think his solution is a lot easier to do. I am not familiar with the specific soil seal he uses, or where to obtain it but any soil seal should work. The guy should have coated the inside of the flange with the soil seal then pushed it down over the pipe. Would have gotten a lot more into the joint.

Another solution would be to cut the lead pipe some where along a straight section before it enters the cast iron stack. Then using a shielded rubber coupling and switch over to PVC and install a PVC flange.

You could remove all the lead piping, insert a donut gasket in the hub of the CI tee and switch over to PVC. That would really be the professional way to do it but it ain't easy. There are two types of cast iron pipes. Regular and heavy duty. You have to get the correct donut gasket. You insert the donut gasket in the hub and then you have to push the PVC into the gasket. That is the hard part. You have bevel the end of the PVC pipe, grease the gasket and the pipe and push the pipe into the gasket. You have to have some kind of leverage to push it in. Beating on it with a hammer won't work.

If I were doing it I would rig up a clamp type jig. Something like a piece of 2x4 behind the cast iron tee with two threaded rods going through another 2x4 with a short piece of PVC pipe between the two. You will probably need another set of hands to set this up while working in the crawl space.

Last edited by hkstroud; 10-25-2016 at 06:59 PM.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #10

Update.

I got frustrated and just called out a plumber to do what I initially wanted - cut the 90 degree somewhere along the straight part and use a coupling and build out with ABS. All of this for $800 bucks!! I should have gone into the trades!!

If I wanted them to install the two peice toilet, it would have costed over a grand!!

The good news: I can have a fully functioning toilet by the days end - at least the piping.

I have spent the better part of my week vacation working on this dang thing!!

Oh by the way, I found out my restroom sink pipe which is also cast iron is totally leaking from within the wall. While I was working on the toilet, someone turned on the sink and the water just started pouring from around the pipe going into the wall.

I enjoyed renting!! I'm hoping I can write this crap off during tax time!! Uncle Sam is not friendly to a single working class professional during tax time!! Don't even get me started about where my tax dollars are spent...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cast iron pipe , flange