Captive Air Tank - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

captive air tank

i have a sears captive air tank that brings my well water into the house, i have lived here for ten years and have never had a problem. however, i have noticed that the bottom of the tank is rusting and i'm not sure but the bladder may be bad. my question is, can i just replace the bladder or does the whole unit need to be replaced? it seems to be holding it's pressure and i would prefer to fix this in the most inexpensive way, just don't want to waste time if it's not going to work.... it is a sears, model 390.291601 tank and i'm not sure how old, i know it's over 10 years old cause that's how long i've been here, any help or advise would be great.... thank you
bakerj59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerj59 View Post
i have a sears captive air tank that brings my well water into the house, i have lived here for ten years and have never had a problem. however, i have noticed that the bottom of the tank is rusting and i'm not sure but the bladder may be bad. my question is, can i just replace the bladder or does the whole unit need to be replaced? it seems to be holding it's pressure and i would prefer to fix this in the most inexpensive way, just don't want to waste time if it's not going to work.... it is a sears, model 390.291601 tank and i'm not sure how old, i know it's over 10 years old cause that's how long i've been here, any help or advise would be great.... thank you
If the bladder is bad the draw down gallons will be less than designed gallons of draw down and if the condition has deteriorated to a certain point rapid pressure switch cycles will be evident.

Bladder replacement - just don't go there. First off I doubt seriously you would ever find a bladder to fit your tank even by having the numbers off of your tank. Possibly but a real long shot.

My supplier discourages attempting bladder replacement and after installing a complete new tank I discovered why. The old bladder had to be cut out and as I understand it the new has to be twisted in some manner to enter the hole. Buy a new tank if you need one and be glad you did.
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015, 11:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

thank you..... you're probably right, especially since it's somewhat old!!
bakerj59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #4
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 1,184

The Sears and Flow some thing at Home Depot while they talk about replacing the bladder when needed are never done as the photo shows.
There is a line of tanks that can have the bladder replaced but they are $$$$
and at one point I did replace the bladder in one, took about 20 minutes from start to finish.. and this was back in the mid 90's.
The cost would be rather high for a normal home, this was commercial.
How much room is there where the old tank is at right now?
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,952

Replace it with the largest you can afford. The bigger the less your pump will run.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:02 PM   #6
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 1,184

What Ghost said, well drills had said longer pump cycle the better which also means a lower number of pump cycles in 24 hours.

So room and $$$
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,444

You don't need to replace the captive tank if it is not leaking (water) and the pump is not running a lot of short on-off cycles.

You may want to recheck the captive tank pressure. Turn off the well pump, flush the toilets* and after that open a cold faucet upstairs until the water stops.

Check the tank pressure and use a bike pump or tire pump to set the pressure to a few PSI less than the pump start pressure.

Close the faucet(s) and turn the pump back on.

* Gives each toilet bowl and extra rinse through rather than simply waste the water down the drain. Alternatively drain most of the water via the bathtub into buckets to water the garden with.
Advertisement