Can't Get A Hot Shower. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2015, 08:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 26

Can't get a hot shower.

I took over a house that had the shower removed. Using the existing plumbing (a combo of Qwest and Pex), I had it reinstalled by my boyfriend, who is not a plumber. The problem is that the shower is lukewarm by the time I am done washing my hair, maybe 3-5 minutes at most. however if I get out and turn on the faucet (plumbed on the same line, but 3' away) there is plenty of hot water left.
I am going to list everything I can think of that might be a factor:

1. Water heater only holds 30gals, but temp is set at scalding.
2. Pipes are marginally insulted, enough that it doesn't freeze.
3. Faucet control is the no-scald type that won't let you adjust the hot and cold separately. I'm told you can't buy them any other way these days.
4. The water pressure to the house is crazy high and doesn't have the city-required pressure regulator, but I cranked it down at the meter so it's reasonable.
5. The water never gets completely cold, just turns to lukewarm that isn't quite warm enough to be comfortable.
6. The plumbing is all 1/2"

My theory is that somehow the water pressure to the shower is too high and the water cools in the pipes as it waits to come out of the shower head. That's the only way I can account for the fact that the sink will run plenty hot when the shower is not very warm at all. I cannot turn down the overall pressure to the house any lower and have it be livable.

I have thought about installing a ball valve on the cold feed to the shower so I can turn that line down individually, but that's a lot of work and I'm not sure if it will solve the problem.

Or, I can hit the black market and try to find the kind of faucet control that won't treat me like a child and will allow me to adjust the hot and cold feeds individually to a comfortable temperature.

Please help, I haven't been able to shave my legs in 3 months because I am covered in goosebumps from the cold showers I have to take.

Thank you,
Barbra
Barbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,510

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a few plumbing concerns.

If the lack of hot water was throughout the house, I would say something is wrong with hwh, dip tube broken/cracked, lower element bad if electric, sediment build-up, etc.

Being how the lack of hot water only effects that one shower, as you have already mentioned, I would say something is wrong with the anti-scald/mixing valve. Most can be adjusted. If yours cannot, maybe a new one which can be adjusted would help.

What is the brand/model of your current faucet?

Others will be along with more advice/suggestions.

Last edited by jmon; 02-24-2015 at 08:55 AM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #3

Thank you Jmon. The valve is a brand new Delta. How is this adjustment accomplished?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
RETIRED MASTER PLUMBER,

Rewards Points: 50
Talking

SEE HOW MUCH FRIENDLIER THE HELP IS WHEN YOU POST ON THE RIGHT FORUM
REMOVE THE HANDLE THEIR IS A PLASTIC COG WHEEL WITH ADJUSTMENTS ON IT BY TURNING IT YOU CAN CHANGE THE HI TEMP SETTING
JERRYMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JERRYMAC For This Useful Post:
jmon (02-24-2015), SHR Plumber (02-24-2015), Startingover (02-25-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYMAC View Post
SEE HOW MUCH FRIENDLIER THE HELP IS WHEN YOU POST ON THE RIGHT FORUM
REMOVE THE HANDLE THEIR IS A PLASTIC COG WHEEL WITH ADJUSTMENTS ON IT BY TURNING IT YOU CAN CHANGE THE HI TEMP SETTING
Since the 'Real" plumbers already said it isn't the mixer, what exactly are we doing here Jerrymac? How is this being helpful?
Old 02-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #6
RETIRED MASTER PLUMBER,

Rewards Points: 50

A. I AM A REAL PLUMBER ! OVER 30 YEARS AS SERVICE & REPAIR
MASTER LICENSE JAN 1989
I AM TRYING TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION
JERRYMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JERRYMAC For This Useful Post:
Barbra (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,510

This short delta video is for a series 13/14. This may or may not be helpful to you. If not, call or go to delta's website and ask the manufacturer directly on how to adjust it. It's pretty straight forward. Excellent customer service. Just a suggestion.

jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
Barbra (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #8
Plumber

Rewards Points: 302

Barbara, I have found that delta's come factory set at a low setting. I always adjust them higher at installation time.
Pull the handle using an Allen wrench to expose the stem.
You will then see a flat disk that has calipration marks on it. Lift and turn it to the left and reset it.
You should not exceed 120 degrees.
You could check their website for clearer instructions or check the original manual
Barbra (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #9

I will give that adjustment thing a try. Thanks so much. I have my fingers crossed!
The Following User Says Thank You to Barbra For This Useful Post:
jmon (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbra View Post
Since the 'Real" plumbers already said it isn't the mixer, what exactly are we doing here Jerrymac? How is this being helpful?
"The "real plumbers"? Ahhh, it seems to me the only "REAL" plumbers on here have given you the same good advise, adjust the hot limit stop in your faucet! Welcome to the forum but insulting "REAL" plumbers who are wasting their valuable time to give you free advise is not a good start. You will not get any more of my time. Good luck to you and your boyfriend, I hope you treat him better than you treat the professionals on here or he should run for the hills.
SHR Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:44 AM   #11

The "Real" plumbers are on the other forum he referenced in his message. You might want to read things better before slinging your ****.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #12
Plumber

Rewards Points: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYMAC View Post
A. I AM A REAL PLUMBER ! OVER 30 YEARS AS SERVICE & REPAIR
MASTER LICENSE JAN 1989
I AM TRYING TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION
Try not to use all caps as it seems you are YELLING
Old 02-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #13

Okay, this is a good start, but I hit a snag. The faucet I have is a Delta B112900. I have stripped it down to the limiter adjustment thingy. It appears to be all the way to the hot setting as it is. What I have is exactly as appears in the pic below, although the orientation of the pic is not correct. The white plastic stop thing goes at the 9 o'clock position when installed correctly (I verified my installation on the Delta website).

To adjust it you rotate the top brass piece in a clockwise motion. The one pictured below is almost all the way hot. There is a metal stop in the top piece that prevents it from rotating past the wide part of the collar on the bottom brass piece. Mine is all the way hot. I am reluctant to tamper with the bottom brass piece or the white piece without knowing this will be okay, and how to do so.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:03 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 582

if that unit was installed and new piping run to it and if it was not flushed out before cartridge was installed it may have some junk clogging hot side..or if it was overheated at install it may be damaged...

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 02-24-2015 at 05:11 PM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #15

This is what mine looks like. The depth is not good in the photo, the top brass piece is the one that is in the 3 o'clock position on the pic below.

According to the instructions on the delta site it should turn clockwise to increase the hot, but it's already as clockwise as it will go. If I am looking at this correctly, when you turn the handle to start the flow you are turning the top brass piece toward the white part, which is the limiter itself?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement