Can We Use 4-letter Words In Our Topic? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,246

Can we use 4-letter words in our topic?

Well, I thought I had this solved, but no.

First, we have 2 five-ton AC/Gas heater units. One of them had a lot of water in the secondary drain pan. No water was coming our of the 2ndary drain line yet. So I poured 1 qt to 1/2 gal of 50-50 Clorox/H20 down the primary drain line. I also noticed H2O [condensation] dripping from the plenum into the 2ndary pan.

After pouring soln, I was told there was a huge mess in the sink of the upstairs guest bathroom...you can see where the AC drain lines tie into the P-trap of this sink. It looked like someone has tossed their cookies: chunks, discoloration, etc...so, the lines had algae, funk and other and the bleach cleared the drain lines. Also, 2ndary drain pan in 2-3 days was completely dry.

I then plunged the sink and it immediately drained...later I get a note that the wife's sink in the master bathroom looked liked someone puked in it. So, gravity at wk and I just pushed the problem from 2nd story to first. Got the plunger again, and hit it several times...all I did was bring up more funk what was downstream of this sink. So got a plastic cup and hand drained the sink, tossing the XXXX into the toilet and flushing. Did this several times. The sink was not draining

Next the master bathroom shower was not draining that well, meaning while taking a shower, water would build up about 1/2-3/4" in a 10-15 min shower. So I pulled the drain cover. I think I know where Jimmy Hoffa was not placed. I pulled some coagulated hair masses like you would not believe. [Have wife and 2 daughters - 16 & 13 yr old have LONG hair]. After pulling tons of hair, I poured water into drain it drained better...sink would still not drain - called a HS friend that is a plumber - said to get a hand auger and put into sink...I did and pulled some hair, but still could not get it to drain.

Went and bought some gel Draino - poured whole bottle in sink, waited 30 min and poured 3-4 gal of hot water from a 5 gal hm depot bucket...drained like a charm.

Bought another Draino and did the same thing w the shower drain = poured all in, waited 30, poured approx. 4 hot gal of water and drained quickly...All is good - I'll continue in next post
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2015, 08:14 AM   #2

All is good for a week or so...Same AC secondary drain pan started to fill up again [have a call into AC guy] so I poured more bleach down the 2ndary drain line...nothing in guest bathroom sink upstairs...nothing in wives sink downstairs. THEN, wife uses her sink [it was turned off for a week bc the hot water valve stem leaked and it was replaced, works fine now, all turned back on] and it would not drain. WTX? I tried plunging it, nothing...went to store last night at 930PM, bought more draino. Sink was drained by time I arrived [20-30 min], then I poured in draino after taking out sink stopper, waited 30, poured 1-2 gal of hot water [from spa like last time] and it drained fine. Poured another 2-3 gal of hot water, all drained fine.

So, without using any 4-letter words, what is going on here? House was built in 2004-2005, 4 bedrms, 3.5 baths, 2 five-ton Carrier AC/Gas units one for up, one for down].

Note, when I bought the Auger, I used it on both the shower drain and sink drain - nothing major really came up...it is about 13 ft long/

I am all ears and will either answer any questions you have or go find them if I have to do something to get them...

I appreciate your time and sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible for you - Best grds and thank you, tstex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2015, 08:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,412

Are there still some patterns of pouring water down one drain and it backs up in another drain at the same or lower level?

Describe.
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #4

Thank you Allan.

The only history of one sink [and its draining system] causing another sink to be clogged was when I plunged the upstairs guest room sink and it drained [I assume] into the downstairs master bathroom sink that is right below it. The contents of the sink upstairs looked exactly the same as the contents in the downstairs sink after I plunged it.

When I tried plunging the downstairs sink as I did the upstairs sink, I seemed to be pulling debris/crxp and other up from the drainage system of the clogged master bath sink. I had to hand remove the xxxx from the sink, plunged again and nothing happened.

The origin of the debris that was first seen in the upstairs bathroom sink was no doubt a result of the bleach removing mold and other from the primary AC drain line that drains into this P-Trap of this sink. Then once the bleach broke down the algae and other, it drained into the upstairs pipes and did not go down the pipes but went into the sink - by plunging it, it did push it downward, which was then seen the sink of the wife in the m-bathroom. This is the only history of this cause and effect ever.

I just went upstairs to the guest bath room sink, ran cold water for about a min, then filled the sink to the brim and opened the drain plug...all went well. Then went to the masterbath room sink downstairs in question, ran c water for 1 min, filled the sink to the top and opened the drain. I got a nice vortex w sound as it quickly drained w no prob at all.

So, I am where I was exactly one week ago this thur night. The only diff this time is I did not do anything w the shower drain. The sink on my side of master bath, and the Jacuzzi drain all work fine...no issue before, no issue now. Also, nothing from the AC primary line looked like it has caused any debris to be detected anywhere.

Does this help answer your question(s)? Thank you

Last edited by tstex; 10-15-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement