Can This Valve Be Repaired? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree10Likes

Old 01-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 299

Can this valve be repaired?

Are components to reapir this valve still available? If so, bib box store? Plumbing supply?

Thanks!

Can this valve be repaired?-shop-main-valve_crop.jpg
Bob... is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,694

Re: Can this valve be repaired?

Tighten the nut where the leak is about 1/2 turn.

If that doesn't stop the leak, purchase some graphite string (Home Depot $2.96 ). Unscrew the bonnet nut completely (that is the nut around the stem). Wrap 2 or 3 wraps of graphite around the stem and then screw the bonnet nut back in place and tighten.
Attached Thumbnails
Can this valve be repaired?-danco-repair-clamps-80793-64_1000.jpg  
Yodaman likes this.

Last edited by hkstroud; 01-21-2018 at 03:19 PM.
hkstroud is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #3

Thanks - I already tightened maybe 1/4 turn or less. I guess I'm afraid it might break or leak more (as sometimes happens with HVAC flare/compression fittings). I'll pick up some of the graphite string to have on hand.

Out of curiosity, though, are the guts still available? If so, I might pick them up to have on hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2018, 04:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,932

Uses flat washers.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #5

Well the only thing to replace would be the washer and seat. In other faucets such as your kitchen or lavatory faucet the seats are replaceable. The seat is the smooth surface the washer presses against to stop the flow of water. In this type of valve, which is known as a stop and waste valve, I believe the seat is just a smooth surface that is machined into the valve. Therefore not replaceable.

You could remove the stem by loosening the bonnet nut (the nut around the stem), completely then opening the stem, just like you were turning the water on. With the bonnet nut unscrewed the stem will keep turning and come out of the valve.
You could then replace the washer. You would do that if the valve wouldn't shut off completely.
However that is not your problem. Your problem is that the graphite packing around the stem has worn out. By tightening the bonnet nut you compress the graphite more, hopefully stopping the leak around the stem. You won't break anything by tightening the bonnet nut. It may not stop the leak but you won't break anything.

If you tighten the bonnet nut as much as possible and it still leaks you then add more graphite. Certainly won't hurt anything to loosen the bonnet nut and add some graphite.

As I indicated string graphite is available at Home Depot and is cheap. Looking on the internet I see it advertised at $18 to I think $34. Same thing, I don't think you want to purchase it that way.

Give the bonnet another 1/2 to 3/4 turn, you won't break anything.
Bob... likes this.

Last edited by hkstroud; 01-21-2018 at 05:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hkstroud For This Useful Post:
Bob... (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 06:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,042

And if HD doesn't know what graphite string is tell him it's graphite packing, and what hkstroud is calling a bonnet nut is also a packing nut.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #7
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
And if HD doesn't know what graphite string is tell him it's graphite packing, and what hkstroud is calling a bonnet nut is also a packing nut.
At HD, you'll probably end up with a bag of peanuts and a nice hat and a gray suitcase.....
lenaitch likes this.
jlhaslip (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
Well the only thing...

...Give the bonnet another 1/2 to 3/4 turn, you won't break anything.
I'll put the wrench to it again tomorrow. Much appreciated!
Old 01-21-2018, 07:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Thanks for the additional info. HD (and moreso, Lowes) are why I get my information straight up front.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #10
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,040

I suppose it goes without saying - but perhaps should be said -is, in addition to the above good advice, turn off the water supply before you try to take it apart. Better still, try to bleed down the water from a lower faucet if available, so it doesn't spit at you.

Bydand
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:07 PM   #11

At this time I feel it necessary to come to the defense of Home Depot employees.

Background: Over the last few months I have experienced several black outs. Unexplained loses of conscienceless.

A few weeks ago I went into Home Depot to purchase a couple tanks of propane for my grill and shop heater.

The normal procedure is that you state what you want. The clerk rings up the purchase and gives the receipt. You take the receipt to the employee out side to get the propane.

When I got in line at the register there was someone purchases some boxes and there was some trouble finding the skew number. When that purchase was completed I stepped up to the register. At the moment something happened. I don't know what but something happened. I knew that what I was saying didn't make sense. I could also tell from the look on her face that I wasn't making sense.

She took the time to figure out what I wanted, rang it up. I don't know how because what I was saying didn't make any sense. I knew it but couldn't do anything about it. She then left her registrar, took the receipt over to another employee and then out to the employee outside.

Now she could have taken an attitude or been rude. Or done a lot of things, but she didn't. I think she knew something was wrong and did everything she could to assist.

By the time all this had happened, whatever was wrong with me had passed and I got my truck and picked up the propane.

The next day when I recalled what happened, I made it a point to go back and thank her for her kindness and consideration. I also related what happened to the store manager and wrote a letter to the store relating what happened.
Hopefully this will be remembered and reflect well upon her. Certainly an employee that Home Depot can be proud of.

Last edited by hkstroud; 01-21-2018 at 08:16 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hkstroud For This Useful Post:
Canarywood1 (01-22-2018), SeniorSitizen (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 08:23 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 6,356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob... View Post
Thanks - I already tightened maybe 1/4 turn or less. I guess I'm afraid it might break or leak more (as sometimes happens with HVAC flare/compression fittings). I'll pick up some of the graphite string to have on hand.

Out of curiosity, though, are the guts still available? If so, I might pick them up to have on hand.
If you can find the Neoprene washer for the stem end do your best to also find a new brass screw for it as they over the years often deteriorate. And don't forget the plumber's grease.

I use our ACE Hardware for item such as you need because they can - always - tell me which isle number it is on and usually which side of the isle. It has employees that have been there for decades.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 01-21-2018 at 08:26 PM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #13
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,040

Harold - Glad to hear that you recovered. I don't think anyone here has ever expressed a view that HD - or any so-called box store - employees lack humanity or compassion; just that many are not very knowledgeable in their departments. When HD first broke into Canada, they made a point of hiring people from the trades, either retired or ones that simply were done working in the rain and dirt. They still exist but they are certainly in the minority now.

Not a doctor - heck, not even a decent DIYer, - but I'd be getting that condition looked at. Sounds like a TIA (transient ischemic attack) or something similar.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.

Bydand
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (01-23-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 08:48 PM   #14

When the wife heard about my last blackout she made me go to the doctor. They did a brain scan. Evan claimed to have found one, said it was like looking for a needle in a hay stack, but found nothing wrong. Didn't tell her about Home Depot.

Getting old is not for the young at heart.

Last edited by hkstroud; 01-21-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:27 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
When the wife heard about my last blackout she made me go to the doctor. They did a brain scan. Evan claimed to have found one, said it was like looking for a needle in a hay stack, but found nothing wrong. Didn't tell her about Home Depot.

Getting old is not for the young at heart.
"Used to work with a guy who was a little wacky, a small waste basket hit him in the head. When he came back to work we all asked what did they do? He said, brain scan. We kind of all asked what did they find? He said nothing. We all laughed and said we could have told you that"
Advertisement