Can Someone Suggest A Workaround To Adding A New Bath Vanity/sink? P Trap Hits Shelf! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree12Likes

Old 01-29-2018, 12:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 50

Can someone suggest a workaround to adding a new Bath Vanity/sink? P trap hits shelf!

So putting in a new Vanity and Sink in a bathroom and I've run out of room behind the cabinet.

Where the Ptrap comes out is exactly where the rear mount for the drawer slide is on the back of the cabinet. Those two white plastic tabs are the drawer slide mounts visible below in pic#2. The piece connecting to the white Plastic Ptrap is some type of metal...maybe brass and comes out of the wall and goes 45 degrees to the left.

Also the water supplies stick out too far. Copper tubing. I'm just going with new compression shutoff valve and maybe a 90 degree for that unless you see an easier solution. I don't know how to sweat copper.

Thanks!
The Count

Last edited by CountChocula; 01-29-2018 at 12:44 AM. Reason: added info...
CountChocula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2018, 12:41 AM   #2

Here's the pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Can someone suggest a workaround to adding a new Bath Vanity/sink? P trap hits shelf!-20180128_192057_1517207979601.jpg   Can someone suggest a workaround to adding a new Bath Vanity/sink? P trap hits shelf!-20180128_192029_1517208022623.jpg   Can someone suggest a workaround to adding a new Bath Vanity/sink? P trap hits shelf!-20180128_182307_1517208068020.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2018, 01:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 708

Re: Can someone suggest a workaround to adding a new Bath Vanity/sink? P trap hits sh

Never seen a Vanity with drawers in the middle where the Plumbing comes in.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
CountChocula (01-29-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2018, 01:50 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,168

Re: Can someone suggest a workaround to adding a new Bath Vanity/sink? P trap hits sh

Shorten the two drawers add a board from side to side and install short runners.
123pugsy likes this.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2018, 05:03 AM   #5
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,776

Pull the vanity 8" from the wall, plumb it as needed with the trap and supply lines, running through the upper header of the vanity.

Then build a small cabinet atop the vanity to hold your razor, toothbrush, and other toiletries. to bridge the space and disguise the space.

Are you trying to convert an old dresser to the vanity?

I too have never seen a vanity with drawers in the position that you show.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2018, 05:14 AM   #6
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,460

Do you only have drawers on the right side? I only see pins for the slides on one side. If it is a shelf problem, either cut out or remove the shelf completely or to a better location below.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2018, 06:14 AM   #7
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

your water stubs are right of the lavatory's center line &
with your drain 45ing to left (but originating right of center)
some answers are to:
scrap the upper drawer hardware & only install drawer face
(hopefully the lower drawer will clear plumbing)
switch to a vanity with no drawers
access plumbing in wall & move all stubs to left of center
but that looks like a copper drain stub -
sand or scratch with blade to confirm...
if so that further complicates your situation

Peace
123pugsy and ZTMAN like this.
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DR P For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for answering!!

Ugh. I bought this thing cause it was on clearance. Now I know why. What an idiotic design. I'm not sure I can return plus it was a huge pain getting it over here...I'm doing this remodel by myself. (Scary, huh?!)

I don't mind losing some capacity on one of the drawers. I just can't figure out how to shorten it.

I'm selling this place the second I'm done fixing it if that matters.
The drain (stub?) is definitely metal. Was more yellow then copper so I assumed brass.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountChocula View Post
Thanks everyone for answering!!

Ugh. I bought this thing cause it was on clearance. Now I know why. What an idiotic design. I'm not sure I can return plus it was a huge pain getting it over here...I'm doing this remodel by myself. (Scary, huh?!)

I don't mind losing some capacity on one of the drawers. I just can't figure out how to shorten it.

I'm selling this place the second I'm done fixing it if that matters.
The drain (stub?) is definitely metal. Was more yellow then copper so I assumed brass.
Show us the drawers , how they are built.
You can always build one big drawer and use the two fronts and cut a notch out of the back for the pipes.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 6,100

Buy two of these and cut the pipes coming out of the wall as close to the wall as possible following the directions for the Sharkbite.
Route the pipe more to the middle of the sink location.
Make sure to strap the pipe to wall.

You can use Sharkbite fittings for all your needs, just cost more.

https://www.google.com/search?q=shar...33332168939519

ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:36 PM   #11

so yeah even though it looks like a repurposed cabinet believe it or not this is an off-the-shelf Glacier Bay vanity with the sink combo. Stupidest design ever I swear. Anyhow just to give a reference the shutoff valves only come out 4 inches from the wall and only the right one for the cold water is really going to be in the way and I think is going to actually be on top of the drawer. My main concern is going to be the drain do you think I can switch the 45 degree that comes off the wall to a 90-degree or is that not recommended for a bathroom drain. I'm trying to eyeball everything cuz I haven't cut into it just in case I can't make it work and there is a way that I can return it but I don't think I can plus it was a pain in the butt to get it into this place thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Can someone suggest a workaround to adding a new Bath Vanity/sink? P trap hits shelf!-20180130_142136_1517347917319.jpg   Can someone suggest a workaround to adding a new Bath Vanity/sink? P trap hits shelf!-20180130_142147_1517347937505.jpg   Can someone suggest a workaround to adding a new Bath Vanity/sink? P trap hits shelf!-20180130_142158_1517347980776.jpg   Can someone suggest a workaround to adding a new Bath Vanity/sink? P trap hits shelf!-20180130_142152_1517348000303.jpg   Can someone suggest a workaround to adding a new Bath Vanity/sink? P trap hits shelf!-20180130_142211_1517348020666.jpg  

Old 01-30-2018, 04:02 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 6,100

Why not cut the drywall and do what you have to in order to make it work.
Either patch the drywall or just cover it with the cabinet.
Nealtw likes this.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:03 PM   #13
retired framer

Worst case would be just loose the two drawers and install the drawer fronts only.

3 ideas

1 as before add a new back inside giving enough room for the drain cut the drawers short and install shorter glides.
2 change the glides for the ones that go under the drawers so you could cut out the corners of the drawers to fit around the drain.
3 If the top is removable, remove the glides and install a plywood floor cut out for the drain and cut out the corners of the drawers. Mickey Mouse at best.

Now I see it is just one drawer......

Last edited by Nealtw; 01-30-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:08 PM   #14
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,776

It was designed to use more room on it's right, so that the plumbing could be routed through the left side.

You might be able to route the drain out the back with a 90, then another 90 down through the P trap, into another 90 into the actual wall pipe.

While trying to do this leave every joint unglued until you get it exactly fitting, then glue them and hook up the flex lines to the water supply.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #15
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
It was designed to use more room on it's right, so that the plumbing could be routed through the left side.

You might be able to route the drain out the back with a 90, then another 90 down through the P trap, into another 90 into the actual wall pipe.

While trying to do this leave every joint unglued until you get it exactly fitting, then glue them and hook up the flex lines to the water supply.

ED
Perhaps we should be looking at the plumbing in the wall to see if that could come out of the wall straight into the back in line with the sink.
de-nagorg and ron45 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement