Can I Temporarily Replace A Leaking 32 Gallon Pressure Tank With A Smaller Tank? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Can I temporarily replace a leaking 32 gallon pressure tank with a smaller tank?

My Myers MPD31 hydro-pneumatic 32 gallon pressure tank sprung a leak yesterday and needs to be replaced. I already bought a replacement unit but found out at home that its diameter is too wide for the spot where it is supposed to be installed. Unfortunately I won't be able to get a fitting unit today, as the big box stores don't have the diameter/size unit. This situation comes at a bad time, as I am accommodating guests right now who are without running water. That's why I have to come up with a quick compromise solution for the meantime. I was planning to install a water pump system on a campsite on my property to provide it with water from the adjacent creek. For this set up I intend to use a 2 gallon pressure tank, that I could acquire immediately & locally. My question is: Can I use the small unit as an interim solution for the water supply inside my home until I can get the 32 gallon tank on monday? My main concern is for my well-pump. Do you have any recommendations on which small water tank to buy? What do I have to know or keep in mind to make this work? Any help is greatly appreciated, as this is kind of an emergency situation. Thank you very much, naturegirl
naturegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,658

Re: Can I temporarily replace a leaking 32 gallon pressure tank with a smaller tank?

A two gallon tank will cause the pump to cycle on and off more than the appropriately sized tank. Is there another area where you can house the larger tank, say in a closet or adjacent space? It would just require extending your existing piping to meet the new tank, but will give you uninterrupted service with good pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #3

Re: Can I temporarily replace a leaking 32 gallon pressure tank with a smaller tank?

Hey Chandler, thanks for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately there is no other spot I could place the unit in.
I know the smaller unit is not a perfect solution, but do you think it could work for a day or two until I can get an appropriately sized tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,658

If you can't find an appropriately sized tank, it will have to do, although you must expect the pump to cycle possibly every 15 seconds or so under use. It will wear on your pump, especially with guests taking showers, etc, and the water pressure will take a hit since you are running expressly on the pump without assistance of the storage tank. Can you link us to the tank you are proposing to use?

Edit: from 14 gallons to 32 gallons, the tanks are only 16" wide. Is your present tank smaller in diameter than that?? http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...3fa7bda186.pdf

Last edited by chandler48; 08-27-2017 at 10:22 AM.
chandler48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:15 AM   #5

Unfortunately those pressure tanks are not available for pick up at the stores that I can reach, they would be a perfect fit though.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 08-27-2017, 11:25 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,520

The small tank you are considering will have the draw down gallons stated on the paper work. That's the amount of water used between pump on and pump off cycles. It may be 2 gallon or 1 gallon but you have no choice. Go for it.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement