Broken Pipes Behind The Counters - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2015, 12:14 AM   #1

broken pipes behind the counters

I'm buying a house and while fixing what we thought was a couple broken elbows, we found out that there is at least one broken pipe behind the cabinets. To get to it, we will have to pull out all of the handmade cabinetry which seems to be impossible without destroying it. We would also have to remove a bunch of tile from the walls. This pipe is on an outside wall... It seems to me that it would be easier to pull the siding off the back of the house and get access that way... is that even an option? Which would be easier? If this house wasn't such an amazing buy, I wouldn't even deal with it. But it is, so here I am.
erica m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2015, 01:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

If the only way you can get to them is by removing the cabinets, then that is what you will have to do. There is no easy way if the problem lies where you are stating that it is.

Is this a bank owned Foreclosure?

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2015, 08:37 AM   #3

It is a foreclosure, being sold as is... it's been empty for a long time. All the pipes we already fixed are pvc, so I'm assuming they froze at some point... we've already put $1000 into this house just to get it "up to code" with little things here and there. They want the water on to complete the appraisal but I just don't think it's possible without pulling out the whole kitchen, which I have no problem doing AFTER it's ours. Lord knows it's going to take more than a day to put back together. But you don't think it would be easier to just pop the siding off outside?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2015, 08:54 AM   #4

You could just pull PEX. But first the old Copper has to come out.

If you can get to the screws that hold the cabinet to the wall for the Sink Base. That may be the best route.

Personally I would take advantage of a clean slate and put in all new cabinets and counters.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #5

No you cannot just take the siding down Depending on the age of the home. There is always that possibility that you will end up opening a bigger can of worms.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #6

That's the thing, the cabinets are new, and beautiful. But you're right, we'll just pull them out carefully... Thanks for your help
Old 12-10-2015, 09:02 AM   #7

You're probably right. I think we're just going to replace all the water lines before we move in. I just don't understand how there are so many leaks! I mean, someone had to live there before... maybe that's why they have it back to the bank... however. All the water, kitchen and bathrooms are all pretty centrally located, so I don't think it'll be too bad.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 898

Unless you have an unusual situation. I see no reason you could not remove siding and sheathing to access pipes. Show us a picture of the outside wall in that area. What is the exterior siding?

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
djlandkpl (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,414

Other option

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica m View Post
It is a foreclosure, being sold as is... it's been empty for a long time. All the pipes we already fixed are pvc, so I'm assuming they froze at some point... we've already put $1000 into this house just to get it "up to code" with little things here and there. They want the water on to complete the appraisal but I just don't think it's possible without pulling out the whole kitchen, which I have no problem doing AFTER it's ours. Lord knows it's going to take more than a day to put back together. But you don't think it would be easier to just pop the siding off outside?
Another possible option depending on the layout of the house: Route new piping a different way, like through the floor into the sink, hopefully without tearing out cabinets. Repipe to everything that those pipes supplied.

Also, keep in mind that if it's too old, sewer line may need to be redone at some point soon. Might be worth getting it scoped.
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom738 For This Useful Post:
djlandkpl (12-10-2015), gregzoll (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 06:48 PM   #10

It's just that hook together vinyl siding... I don't have any pictures though
Old 12-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom738 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by erica m View Post
Another possible option depending on the layout of the house: Route new piping a different way, like through the floor into the sink, hopefully without tearing out cabinets. Repipe to everything that those pipes supplied.

Also, keep in mind that if it's too old, sewer line may need to be redone at some point soon. Might be worth getting it scoped.
We talked about it this morning, I think that's exactly what we're going to do. It seems like there is too much piping in there already. I don't know what they were trying to do but looking at it, it could have been done with about half the material they used! So we're just going to run new pipe that's accessible from inside the cabinets. And I've thought about the sewer line, that scares the hell out of me too...
Old 12-10-2015, 06:59 PM   #12
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 898

With vinyl siding working from the outside is a piece if cake. I did exactly that to lower my drain trap arm for a new sink.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:03 PM   #13

Really? Maybe I'll try to talk him into that instead... I want to put in all new pipes but I really think that'd be the easiest access point
Old 12-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 781

Keep water pipes off outside walls if at all possible. Whether you live there or not them freezing is always a possibility on a exterior wall.
ct18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement