Broken Off And Stuck Brass Faucet Handle - HELP - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Broken Off and Stuck Brass Faucet Handle - HELP

Hello, we were recently had our main shut-off in the house replaced by a plumber. It broke in the off position when we were doing some work in the house. Anyway, during that whole process my husband put the cold water in the wash tub to on to see if he could get the main back on. It didn't work. When he thought he was turning the wash tub cold to off he was actually cranking it all the way on. I thought he turned it wrong so I tired turning it back. It was stuck and wouldn't move. I pulled both ways so hard that I broke the handle right off. So when the plumber was done replacing the main and turned it on the wash tub was spraying cold water all over. He used his tool on what was left of the handle to crank it off and it broke more. Now after me trying to get that handle off there isn't much left of it. I've tried CLR on it since it was very corroded. I've tried general purpose lubricant where I took the handle screw out. I bought a handle pulling tool that doesn't grab it enough to pop it off. Please help! We are selling this house and the closing is in two weeks. I'd rather not have to replace the fixture since we had some bad luck when replacing the toilet for the new buyers. Pictures in my album. Thanks!!!!

Last edited by KenzieY; 07-14-2016 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Added Pictures
KenzieY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2016, 10:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4

Re: Broken Off and Stuck Brass Faucet Handle - HELP

Attached pictures in my album.

Last edited by KenzieY; 07-14-2016 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Attached Pictures
KenzieY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2016, 12:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,328

That kind of corrosion means the valve is damaged beyond repair with some parts. The utility valve in the photo is common and same size, but handle/washer may not be replaceable. Same even if it is a ball valve. Easy to replace if the nut on the top can be turned. Measure the distance between hot and cold pipes center to center and search. Pro store should have matching ones. Box stores sometimes did not match and had to solder on new ones.
If Gerber is still making those, it may match.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2016, 01:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 38

Easy replacement of entire cold stem. Unscrew using a wrench on the wrench flats under broke off handle. Bring piece to plumbing supply shop and match up by sight. Purchase new handle at same time. Easy as can be fix for any plumber, easy for you too.
SHR Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement