Broken Dies And Chipped Teeth - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2016, 04:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 105

Broken dies and chipped teeth

Hey pros and thanks for the input

I'm still getting the hang of threading pipe by hand. I'm using all Ridgid stuff, 12R etc. I'm having trouble getting a good thread on 1 1/4 pipe. I'm using good quality domestic pipe from wheland so I'm thinking it's gotta be me.

I broke a brand new set of teeth on the second shot. #4 broke when I jammed up backing out. I've tried going a few threads, then backing and cleaning. I've also tried just going all the way till full thread then backing out both with mixed results.

I'm using plenty of thread oil. Any tips?
AdamBNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,196

Get your tool perfectly square with the pipe, before trying to thread it.

If it is even a few degrees off it will tear everything to trash.

Too bad about your dies, get new ones and try again.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
AdamBNYC (02-07-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2016, 05:05 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. What are your thoughts on stopping every few turns and backing out/cleaning up? Is that required or work better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2016, 05:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,220

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBNYC View Post
Thanks for the reply. What are your thoughts on stopping every few turns and backing out/cleaning up? Is that required or work better?
I have threaded alot of pipe, both by hand and machine, are you sure the individual dies are set correct in the threading head? I would take a threaded nipple of whatever size die you have, loosen the screws on the head so the dies could move and then hand screw the nipple into the head and make sure the dies where in good contact and then tighten the screws down, then by hand unscrew and then screw in the nipple again to make sure there was no binding....sounds like your dies are too tight ..after you thread a piece of pipe, how deep into a fitting can you hand tighten it? and with a wrench are you bottoming out the threads in the fitting?
WhatRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhatRnsdownhill For This Useful Post:
AdamBNYC (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 06:06 PM   #5

I actually thought I might have been making them too shallow. I used the method you described when replacing the set today that I broke. I ensured that the dies are all in the corresponding spots that they need to be in.

I am able to put a fitting on to about 1/2 inch on a 1" thread with the wrench. On the factory thread it's more like 3/4th.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #6

#4 broke when backing the threader out. I threaded until I reached the last tooth in the die, maybe even went past a bit, then when backing out, it binded tight, so I gave it some extra force and pop goes #4.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #7

are you pulling out of the die area the stringy steel that comes off the pipe? if that gets caught in the die either threading or backing out, it will bind and break teeth..
AdamBNYC (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #8

I think that's exactly what happening. How regularly do you clean out the die area? Any rule?
Old 02-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #9

as it builds up and you can pull it out with your fingers..those die heads trap that stuff, if you thread with a power threader and open carriage dies, the shavings seem to drop out on there own..
AdamBNYC (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #10

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know. New dies on order and I'll give it another go.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #11

Figured out what I was doing wrong! So to continue the story, new dies came in, replaced just #4 and kept the rest. So here we go again, this time I really started to examine just what the heck was going on. I threaded the first pipe all the way to proper spot, then tried to back out. This is where my issue was all along.

When backing out, the die bit into the threads and tore the heck outta them. Busted die #1. Crap, at least I still have the other dies. I replace #1 and try again. I can't back the die off without totally chewing up the threads. The dies look like the are actually digging themselves deeper while backing out!

So here is what I was doing wrong. You pros might do this like second nature without realizing your doing it, or its just a "me" thing.

So picture me standing in front of the tri stand, threading the pipe. Using my right hand to push down on the ratchet. When backing out, I didn't change position at all. I switched the nob to ratchet in other direction... This was the problem! This position caused the dies to embed themselves in the threads and break the dies.

So, I try again. This time when backing out I stand with the tri stand on my left facing the reverse direction than if I was threading the pipe. Set the bar so it's in front of me and smooth like butter, ratchet and dies back off clean leaving a machine quality thread! Not a single chipped thread. No stopping to clean anything out at all.

Plenty of oil, keep going till threaded to proper depth, change physical position to the tri-stand and back out. Beautiful! Is this what your really supposed to do and it's second nature to you guys at this point?
Old 02-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 5,572

I've done my share of hand threading and never heard of such a procedure.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBNYC View Post
Figured out what I was doing wrong! So to continue the story, new dies came in, replaced just #4 and kept the rest. So here we go again, this time I really started to examine just what the heck was going on. I threaded the first pipe all the way to proper spot, then tried to back out. This is where my issue was all along.

When backing out, the die bit into the threads and tore the heck outta them. Busted die #1. Crap, at least I still have the other dies. I replace #1 and try again. I can't back the die off without totally chewing up the threads. The dies look like the are actually digging themselves deeper while backing out!

So here is what I was doing wrong. You pros might do this like second nature without realizing your doing it, or its just a "me" thing.

So picture me standing in front of the tri stand, threading the pipe. Using my right hand to push down on the ratchet. When backing out, I didn't change position at all. I switched the nob to ratchet in other direction... This was the problem! This position caused the dies to embed themselves in the threads and break the dies.

So, I try again. This time when backing out I stand with the tri stand on my left facing the reverse direction than if I was threading the pipe. Set the bar so it's in front of me and smooth like butter, ratchet and dies back off clean leaving a machine quality thread! Not a single chipped thread. No stopping to clean anything out at all.

Plenty of oil, keep going till threaded to proper depth, change physical position to the tri-stand and back out. Beautiful! Is this what your really supposed to do and it's second nature to you guys at this point?
interesting...I havent hand threaded in ages...but never encountered your issues when I did...but now you know...
Old 02-15-2016, 04:25 PM   #14
Plumber

Rewards Points: 168

Hmm.. Hand threading small pipe, I stand looking at the tri stand so I can keep pressure on the die to start it threading. Not often do I have the stand to the left or right side.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #15
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,196

I have never had to switch from right to left either.

But if it works for you --DO IT.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement