Brine Tank Hose To Valve Fitting - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Brine tank hose to valve fitting

Hi All,

I have an Aqua Pure AWS series water softener (I'm guessing with an Autotrol valve) and the screw on fitting that connects the brine hose to valve is cracked and leaking air. My brine tank is not emptying (the valve is not drawing water up the hose) so I'm assuming the vacuum needed in the hose to draw water out is not there because of the air leak. I'm trying to find a replacement nut so fix my issue. I attached a pic and the part where the arrow is pointing is the nut I'm talking about. Thanks.
Attached Images

djmixmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 12:07 PM   #2

Went to a big box store and after the plumbing guy took 15 minutes browsing through the myriad of adapters, we came up with a brass 3/8" to hose barb connection. The barb end pushed into the hose and the other end was a female end, so we got a 3/8" male to female adapter and it worked like a charm. The original plastic fittings (some kind of ferrule nut with a slip/crush ring that's only designed to go on once and not come off were poorly designed and made. Upgrading to brass proved to be a much better fitting. I'm not sure how long metal to plastic will last but I suspect many years. No more vacuum leaks!
The Following User Says Thank You to djmixmode For This Useful Post:
jmon (05-07-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #3
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 1,184

Either the parts where put together wrong or there was another challenge.
Also the brass will start to break down from the inside out as the brine will take it apart.
Also if there is any kind of warranty then that would be gone with the what you had done.
Just saying.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
Either the parts where put together wrong or there was another challenge.
Also the brass will start to break down from the inside out as the brine will take it apart.
Also if there is any kind of warranty then that would be gone with the what you had done.
Just saying.
I bought the house with it already installed and the previous owner did the same thing. When they moved in it was just sitting - and that was at least a few years. So there was no information on it, no warranty, no previous service records. I just figured what the heck, I'll try and get it going, which I did. That connection was the only problem I had....looks like somebody either tightened the fitting too tight or it sat for so long without use the plastic just decided to crack - which was the problem I originally had. It's working like a charm now. And I still don't know what the original parts are - the original manual doesn't explain it very well (which I printed out online).
Old 05-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #5
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 1,184

Like a nickel and a dime, the parts do not cost that much and use the white plumber on the male end and then just enough to hold it but not to re crack.. learned that way back in the days that I was learning.
Might even have one or two laying around here.... but who knows.......
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement