Is Blue Corrosion On Copper Or Brass Pipe For Toilet Outflow Pipe A Serious Sign Of A - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2015, 11:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4,976

Is blue corrosion on copper or brass pipe for toilet outflow pipe a serious sign of a

I read this article because of a blue corroded area on a pipe in the wall as stated above. Is the concern fr no grounding valid? http://leakgeeks.com/copper-water-pi...-leaks-part-2/
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2015, 12:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

Is blue corrosion on copper or brass pipe for toilet outflow pipe a serious s...

It is called patina. Forget what some random article on the web states.

Usually happens when the flux is not cleaned off after soldering the joints.

The person that wrote that article is trying to sell their services and has no clue what they are talking about. Just trying to catch gullible people. They also paid a lot of money to be the first hits, to grab people to visit their ste.

Last edited by gregzoll; 12-09-2015 at 12:48 AM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
47_47 (12-09-2015), Nik333 (12-09-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2015, 02:16 PM   #3

gregzoll- I asked this to try to help the woman who has a real mold problem, based on her photos of a pipe with blue. Large amounts of black mold freaks me out, too, esp. with children. Can you help her? The post has had 738 views. I think the post starts with "Is this negligence...." by boondocks but is on the General DIY forum. You can just not answer, if you want :} I won't be offended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik333 View Post
gregzoll- I asked this to try to help the woman who has a real mold problem, based on her photos of a pipe with blue. Large amounts of black mold freaks me out, too, esp. with children. Can you help her? The post has had 738 views. I think the post starts with "Is this negligence...." by boondocks but is on the General DIY forum. You can just not answer, if you want :} I won't be offended.
Thirty two people have already answered. How many do you think are needed?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #5

Well, her concerns changed over time. And the last photo showed black mold. After my last comment, I saw the answer on drywall. I did wonder if the blue corrosion on the pipe was an indication of a leak. It does seem odd that the area would be so dry & dusty but have black mold. I asked myself because she doesn't need an unfounded concern on her plate.

I have sl. asthma and wonder what may have promoted it in my childhood - like living in humid Hong Kong.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #6

There were actually nine answers. the rest were discussion, she & me & salesperson. If she's like me, you don't know who is an expert when you are new & anxious..
Old 12-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #7

The Black mold is caused by long term water leakage. Does not mean that it is from the water pipes. It can be environmental from leaks that are somewhere else.

Their Facebook page and that website are meant to scare uneducated people into spending money on stuff that they do not have to.

You will learn more from this website, then you will from searches on the web.

We have some great trades people on here. Also some great DIYer's like you see over on the Project Showcase forum on here.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #8

I believe you, I believe you! The experts just aren't always identifiable.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik333 View Post
I believe you, I believe you! The experts just aren't always identifiable.
It is actually really easy. When they are making outlandish claims online, they tend to start throwing up flags.

There are cases where water plants have had issues with trying to get the chemical soup mix right for making water safe. In turn, it starts eating pinholes into the Copper Pipe. There is a case in Athens, IL. that the community caused millions of dollars in damages to homeowners property, because the water was eating away the pipes.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:31 AM   #10

I use references because it's the way I was trained. Plus, it's good for my mind. I'm not as young as I look! (j/k) That website did sound overboard, so I asked about it here. When you hire a contractor, you make sure he's licensed, right? Same for an engineer. But, licenses aren't on this chatroom, so I'm never sure. I'm more likely to respect someone who others seem to agree with and respect. Experience does count as much as a license. I met a Persian Civil Engineer, last year, who had his PHD from a good school here, but he knew nothing of our building codes. Not quite sure how that happened. It was interesting.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:08 AM   #11

I never use a Contractor for anything. If I need something major, such as my water heater when I had it swapped out, I use a friend who does Plumbing & Heating. That is only because I do not see any reason to have a torch laying around doing nothing.

Everything else, I do myself, unless it was as large as my roof or siding. Both of those were local small business owners that I knew a long time before getting the work done.

As long as you can handle the job. There is no reason to farm it out to someone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement