Bleeder Valves Required For Main Supply? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2015, 07:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 70
Question

Bleeder valves required for main supply?

I need to replace many (old washer) valves in my home, which I intend to do with good-quality ball valves. A plumber told me that bleeder valves are required by code for the main supply valve inside the house (before and after the internal meter), and for any valves that come before hose bibs.

Is that right? At first look, I'm having trouble even finding bleeder ball valves.

(Is there anything special required for these valves?)

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by marmot; 02-12-2015 at 07:16 AM.
marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmot View Post
I need to replace many (old washer) valves in my home, which I intend to do with good-quality ball valves. A plumber told me that bleeder valves are required by code for the main supply valve inside the house (before and after the internal meter), and for any valves that come before hose bibs.

Is that right? At first look, I'm having trouble even finding bleeder ball valves.

(Is there anything special required for these valves?)

Thanks a lot.
all kinds here or maybe box store's https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ball+bleeder+valve
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 08:07 AM   #3

Heh, well I guess my googling ability failed big-time! Thanks.

I think I phrased my statement poorly (It really just surprised me that if you go to Lowe's website or apollo's website these valves don't show up very naturally), and I think I was looking for something more specific.

If bleeder valves are a requirement, anyone know of any 3/4" lead-free, bronze, full-port, bleeder ball valves that are made in the USA? (I actually already have USA-made, lead-free bronze, full-port, Apollo ball valves with a stainless steel ball, which I would love to use, but they aren't bleeders.)

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #4
Plumber

Rewards Points: 258

I can't imagine bleeders required on a washer. It's in a heated space. Perhaps on ext. hose bibs though.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,250

Ayuh,.... Common sense would say put a bleeder on any line goin' out into possibly freezin' conditions,...

Might be a local thing to be able to bleed off the entire house, at the in-comin' point,....

Have ya search the Apollo site for bleeder valves exactly like ya got,..??
Or,...
If yer Handy enough, maybe drill, 'n tap for 1/8" bleeders in yer old valves,..??
Or,....
A runnin' T, 'n bleeder on the cold/ drain side of yer valves,..??
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,942

No code requirement other then it be a full open valve ( Ball type or Gate type}
Or washer type in some locations.

This is IPC code.

606.1 Location of full-open valves. Full-open valves shall be installed in the following locations:
1. On the building water service pipe from the public water supply near the curb.
2. On the water distribution supply pipe at the entrance into the structure.
3. On the discharge side of every water meter.
4. On the base of every water riser pipe.
5. On the top of every water down-feed pipe in occupancies other than one-, two-, and three-family residential occupancies.
6. On the entrance to every water supply pipe to a dwelling unit, except where supplying a single fixture equipped with individual stops.
7. On the water supply pipe to a gravity or pressurized water tank.
8. On the water supply pipe to every water heater.
606.2 Location of shutoff valves. Shutoff valves shall be installed in the following locations:
1. On the fixture supply to each plumbing fixture other than in individual sleeping units that are provided with unit shutoff valves in hotels, motels, boarding houses and similar occupancies.
2. On the water supply pipe to each sillcock.
3. On the water supply pipe to each appliance or mechanical equipment.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-12-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 12:15 AM   #7

Thank you Ghostmaker.

Are you confident? Are you familiar with all the code? (I realize what you pasted does not say anything about a bleeder requirement, but you're also sure there is no other section that does?)

Do you think it's possible that there is a local code that requires a bleeder? (I have to admit, it really doesn't make sense to me to require one at the main supply.) (I live in Columbia, Maryland.)

Thanks.

If anyone else can second the lack of requirement, I'd appreciate that too. (No offense to Ghostmaker. Unfortunately, I don't know him. I want to be a little cautious before I do something potentially not to-code and insult my plumber by correcting him on a code issue.)
Old 02-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #8

the answer

I think I found the answer.

According to this:

http://www.myguardian.com/code/water...tershutoff.htm

"The code requires that the main water shutoff valve ... must provide for proper drainage. Drainage may be accomplished with a simple bleed orifice on the valve body itself or with a separate drain valve located near the main shutoff valve."

So the answer is roughly yes but you can do other things as well.

Thanks all.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #9

Perhaps you should drop a phone call to your local water department. I'm a plumbing inspector in Ohio.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Perhaps you should drop a phone call to your local water department. I'm a plumbing inspector in Ohio.
That web site is for those who get off inspecting houses for presale. They usually do not flag any plumbing code issues because they do not know code.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement