Black Water In Tub - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 40
Unhappy

Black water in tub

We have some standing water in the tub with all black stuff coming out of it. we tried EVERYTHING and nothing is happening. what can be the cause and what more can we do aside from calling a plumber?
gjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

A few more details, please.

Why is there standing water in the tub? Is the drain backed up?

If so---you need to clear the clog---with a tub, the drain snake is inserted by removing the over flow cover.

More details needed--------
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,952

Drains blocked. Call a plumber or try to do it yourself through the overflow cover with a 1/4 inch rod and a power drill.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #4

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
A few more details, please.

Why is there standing water in the tub? Is the drain backed up?

If so---you need to clear the clog---with a tub, the drain snake is inserted by removing the over flow cover.

More details needed--------

Mike not to be a wise gal but wouldn't that be the only reason why there would be standing water in the tub? (the drain to be backed up)???? I don't have an over cover flow. Just one of those things to keep the water in or release it....we tried draino, vinegar/baking soda...we just purchased the "drain king" which will be here tomorrow and hoping that works. I just didn't know what was causing black water to come up when we plunge.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjax View Post
Mike not to be a wise gal but wouldn't that be the only reason why there would be standing water in the tub? (the drain to be backed up)???? I don't have an over cover flow. Just one of those things to keep the water in or release it....we tried draino, vinegar/baking soda...we just purchased the "drain king" which will be here tomorrow and hoping that works. I just didn't know what was causing black water to come up when we plunge.
Be careful at this point. Now that you've got draino down in a clogged drain that can be dangerous when you're plunging or using one of those rooter things. Sometimes things get a little splashy. The draino is now dilluted in the water to an extent, but if you've ever had that stuff splash in your face or eyes you'll remember what it feels like for a very long time.

The black stuff is just gunk and crud that builds up on the walls of the drain pipe. Now you're dislodging it and the plunger pulls it out. It's pretty gross to see what gets stuck down there.
Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
Be careful at this point. Now that you've got draino down in a clogged drain that can be dangerous when you're plunging or using one of those rooter things. Sometimes things get a little splashy. The draino is now dilluted in the water to an extent, but if you've ever had that stuff splash in your face or eyes you'll remember what it feels like for a very long time.

The black stuff is just gunk and crud that builds up on the walls of the drain pipe. Now you're dislodging it and the plunger pulls it out. It's pretty gross to see what gets stuck down there.
Wildbill do you think maybe I should wait a few days then to use the "drain king" I've read where people are talking about explosions and all, now i'm nervous....thank you for any advice you can give
Old 11-21-2015, 01:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Wildbill do you think maybe I should wait a few days then to use the "drain king" I've read where people are talking about explosions and all, now i'm nervous....thank you for any advice you can give
I actually can't really provide you with any more information than what I already have. I'm a painter, and in general I don't touch anything that could flood or burn my house down.

I'm not sure if waiting a few days will have any effect on the draino that's down there. I honestly don't know if it loses it's strength over time.

Now that the subject has been bumped up though, I'm sure someone with plumbing knowledge will be along to answer any questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
gjax (11-22-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #8

Unhappy

Quote:
I actually can't really provide you with any more information than what I already have. I'm a painter, and in general I don't touch anything that could flood or burn my house down.

I'm not sure if waiting a few days will have any effect on the draino that's down there. I honestly don't know if it loses it's strength over time.

Now that the subject has been bumped up though, I'm sure someone with plumbing knowledge will be along to answer any questions.
I thank you for your honesty. I hope that someone soon can help me with this matter. we put an 80oz bottle of draino down the tub and boy does it stink in the house now ugh.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #9

Quote:
I thank you for your honesty. I hope that someone soon can help me with this matter. we put an 80oz bottle of draino down the tub and boy does it stink in the house now ugh.
Probably a bunch of hair/crud getting burnt up chemically. If you do end up having to hire a plumber, be sure to tell them you put draino down there and how much. That's really, really important.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Probably a bunch of hair/crud getting burnt up chemically. If you do end up having to hire a plumber, be sure to tell them you put draino down there and how much. That's really, really important.

Oh i'm sure this house is over 100 years old. I don't think that the pipes are the original? We may end up calling a plumber, something I wanted to so avoid. Thank you so much again but now i'm scared lol
Old 11-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,246

Few questions:

1. Is this a tub only or tub w a shower head?

2. What was the process of the drain not properly removing the water? ie, did it take longer ea time you used "the tub" for it to drain, or did it stop up completely as it is now all at one time?

3. How often is this "tub" or tub/shower used?

4. Do you have a lot of girls w long hair using this "tub".

To reiterate, when you plunge any stopped drain and there is standing water, the suction of the plunger if not able to release the clog, the fluids [and debris thereof] on the suction side of the plunger come up.

Finally, you should only use drain-o [to be fully effective] after the water has drained below the drain itself and enough of the tub down-spout is free of water = to the vol of drain-o you administer. Drain-o floating around in your tub is a waste. As clogged as most drains get, if you leave them for 24 hrs, 95% of them will drain to the p-trap.

Post back w the answers to the above ques's
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #12

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstex View Post
Few questions:

1. Is this a tub only or tub w a shower head?

2. What was the process of the drain not properly removing the water? ie, did it take longer ea time you used "the tub" for it to drain, or did it stop up completely as it is now all at one time?

3. How often is this "tub" or tub/shower used?

4. Do you have a lot of girls w long hair using this "tub".

To reiterate, when you plunge any stopped drain and there is standing water, the suction of the plunger if not able to release the clog, the fluids [and debris thereof] on the suction side of the plunger come up.

Finally, you should only use drain-o [to be fully effective] after the water has drained below the drain itself and enough of the tub down-spout is free of water = to the vol of drain-o you administer. Drain-o floating around in your tub is a waste. As clogged as most drains get, if you leave them for 24 hrs, 95% of them will drain to the p-trap.

Post back w the answers to the above ques's

I would like to start off by saying that we had a plumber come in in September to install a new toilet and 3 shut offs. 1 for the toilet and 2 for the sink. It wasn't till after is when we started having this problem....the tub is combined with a shower. I live in a 2 family and I am concerned with the 2nd floor bathroom (my brothers) he lives alone and he is the only one who uses the tub/shower (he has very short hair) Mom has be gone 9 years and Dad 5 and they both had short hair (if any of that matters.)

My brother did add the draino when the water was only covering the drain area, between he and I we bailed most of the water out except for what was in the drain..if that makes sense... We started off with Mr plumber and that didn't work. Then I added baking soda and the vinegar, still nothing, and then the draino...now here is a stupid question...when people talk about an explosion are the referring to the tub blowing up? lol...I mean that is not funny but I am embarrassed on asking that question.

Right this moment we have a tub full of black water. I don't mean just skimming the bottom of the tub...sorry for rambling on here as you can tell i'm not good t explaining things. BUT I do wonder if what the plumber did had any affect on all this because it seemed fine up to him coming in.UGH
Old 11-21-2015, 03:23 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 3,492

Seriously doubt its anything the plumber did. Nothing to worry about you have a clogged drain.

Reread posts 2 and 3. Best advice is right there.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:50 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,246

I would buy a hand-cranked snake by Rigid. Wearing the proper PPE for eyes, face & hands, remove all the water in the tub. Then wait until water recedes past drain, remove drain cover, carefully insert head of wire snake into and past drain, then start cranking it. It's important to crank forward 75% of time, then 25% back [ie 40 cranks forward, 10 backwards, etc]. Do this until all of the snake is inside your pipes. Make sure you work it back-and-forth.

Once this is done, get the liquid gel drain-o, pour all of it down the drain if it goes or stop if it starts to top off at the drain....wait 30 minutes if it starts to drain, then pour hot as you can get 3-4 gal of water. If the drain-o does not go down at all, wait over night, but make sure you vent [open window] the room or turn-on exhaust/ceiling fan if you have one.

I cannot diagnose the timing of this w the plumbers installs, but if something when down the toilet flange during toilet install, your toilet more than likely would be backing-up too. How is it doing?

There is an answer, let's find it.
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,952

Cover your eyes with protection gear if you plan to snake that drain.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement